Thursday, December 15, 2005

Welcome Skeet Shooters

Welcome Skeet Shooters
And thank you for visiting the original Skeet Shooter’s Dad’s blog. We actually talked about more things on the jury duty phone call. I think Doug will be able to get off the panel if he plays the proper film based quotes like, “I thought GOODFELLOWS was a great film,” or “I always wanted to be on a jury and see if I could play the Henry Fonda role from TWELVE ANGRY MEN.”

Where was Chuck last night?
Where was I last night? You all know that I wasn’t here.

The office building where I am working had a holiday party yesterday afternoon. I can’t stay away from free food so I held off until after the initial charge at the tables.
I was going to get something to drink but the line was long and almost everyone was giving cuts; you know, a co-worker comes and stands next to you and pretends to be your best friend until they got their cappuccino. Then, they leave you like a bad dream.

I was tempted to say something but most of the cutters were Asian females and they may not have understood the rules about standing in line like a good American. That bothered me plus I almost ran into one because she was on the really short side and I barely saw her step in front of me.

And people wonder why we have road rage on the freeways. I think people drive like they walk; very badly in some cases.

So skipped the coffee bar on the first pass at the refreshments and headed for the table with the brownies and cookies. Now, I was in my element. I played some football in high school so I felt right at home as I cut off an Asian female as she tried to make an end run around me to get to the brownies ahead of me. I stopped her dead in her tracks by blocking the access to the table with a nifty trap block.

Being a bigger American has its advantages from time to time.

The brownies were absolutely yummy and I went back for thirds. It was easy to do since we are on the ground floor and the food was just a few steps from the office front door.

I think I picked up an espresso on my second trip to the refreshments. That was a big mistake for me.

When you add in all of caffeine from the brownies and then the espresso, I was buzzing last night. It took me maybe an hour to fall asleep when I can usually drift off in a few minutes or so, unless of course Sharon phones me when she gets home late at night.

The rich food distracted me from my afternoon work. When I reviewed it this morning, I was really off my mark with my writing. I am going to be better today for sure.

The distraction carried over into the evening and I sort of have a blank at what I did after my dinner. I know I forgot to take my medicine after dinner. I guess I was watching some unimportant television show on the cable.

Denise the Hot Chick Cop
I think I have written about Denise the Hot Chick Cop who lives in my building before. Denise was in the building lobby last night when I was emptying my mailbox of junk and stuff.

I had wanted to ask her what the recommended procedure was when you are driving along on one of our local freeways and a high speed pursuit overtakes you. This was just not covered when I took my driver’s education course in high school. This actually happened to me as I was on the way to a meeting in San Diego in May. I was on the cell phone with Doug when the California Highway Patrol cars roared past me like a poorly organized cavalry charge.

Denise said that you can try to get out of the way if you can do that safely. She said that is what the law says you should do. Denise said that it was probably wiser just to maintain your position and speed and left the officers go around you. She said, “the officers, after all are trained in that sort of driving and it is less risky for them to go around you.”

That made me feel good knowing that I did what Denise suggested as the safest course of action.

Days
Obviously, yesterday, there was no need for ice cream. I was still a little calorie hung over from yesterday to consider ice cream today. That made it 23 and 24.

I’m depressed
I did a very stupid think at work today. I had some time to kill before a project progress review meeting. I had the time because the project meeting would determine what I will do next.

The meeting ahead of mine ran long, really long. I decided to go to the Kelly Blue Book web site [http://www.kbb.com] to see how much my 1989 Honda Prelude was worth.

This was so depressing. My Prelude, as a trade in on a new MINI Cooper, won’t even cover half of the sales tax on a new Cooper. It is only worth about $800 or so. That was so sad for me.

Oh well, I am over it now and have started to figure out how much longer I need to keep the Prelude until I can get a Cooper. I want to get a convertible because you can drive around with the top down for a long time in Southern California.

Life is good in Southern California; drivin’ in the sun with the top down.

The Prelude will click over 330,000 miles / 531,000 kilometers tomorrow on my drive to school. If I wait until the Prelude hits 400,000 miles, I should have finished putting Doug through college and the mortgage will be paid for on the old condo. I will have the chance to stash away a nice piece of change to go towards the purchase of the Cooper.

Office Holiday Party
I got invited to the office holiday party. The company is paying for food at lunch next week and I won’t turn down a free meal. Excellent.

Even better, instead of a gift exchange where I draw the name of person I hardly know, I can get off by bringing an unwrapped toy for the local firefighters Christmas toy drive. That is so easy. I drive bye a Mattel toy company outlet store on my drive on my way to and from work. Any toy that I pick out is perfect and meets the requirements. I think I will probably buy a doll and maybe a Hot Wheels. I don’t think either one would be a bad choice.

Job Searching and Interviewing
My original contract where I am working now ended yesterday. I figured the client would want to extend the term. This afternoon, the CEO was talking about another sixty days and I said let’s go for another thirty plus days through the end of January.

January will be a good month with no school on Fridays to conflict with billable time.

The CEO wants me to take on a project that is probably seven or eight years overdue. It is one of those projects that just needs to get done and I can easily do the job plus it will solve some other problems and get the Board of Directors out of management’s hair. There are a few more great benefits from having me complete the project besides nearly a month of billable time for me.

Doug and College
The Big Guy called to check in after his last final examination this morning. Apparently, as Doug described it, the exam consisted of showing up for class by Noon and turning in some assignments. Even with this simple requirement, he said that there were a few students who couldn’t get to the classroom on time.

Wowie kazowie; examinations have sure changed since I was in college.

And so, gentle readers and Skeet Shooters, I hope y’alls have a great weekend and I will be back on Sunday with another weekend update.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home