Monday, January 23, 2006

Lights, Camera, No Action.

Lights, Camera, No Action
One of the cosmetics companies in the building was have a still photography shoot today. I saw the photographer. I hope my daughter didn’t see the photographer. The photographer had a sort of orange Mohawk hair style with black stubble on the sides. Naturally, he wore all black.

Do you suppose he was trying to be a ninja warrior?

Doubtful.

I saw one of the models. I think she would have been perfect for Doug. She was tall and leggy and well rounded but not in a heavy sort of way. I was truly impressed with the tread strength in her jeans because she was straining on the seams when she walked around in the courtyard, talking on her cell phone.

The photographer’s assistant was a skinny small woman who looked way overworked trying to handle the equipment and cameras.

I had thought about getting up from my desk and going outside to help her. I changed my mind because I realized that if I did that it would be a nice gesture but one that would not translate into any benefits for me. In the end, the security officer helped her with the door.

Nice Guy Chuck – Part 1
I was being Nice Guy Chuck the older day by chatting with a young Chinese business woman. She was looking for some help with her company’s English language version of the web site.

Being Nice Guy Chuck, I rewrote the home page so it made more sense to an English language reader.

Unfortunately, she forgot to thank me for my efforts.

Tonight, she had messaged me just before I came online after my dinner. She wanted to know what the post code was for Lima, Peru.

Now, I like to think of myself as being reasonably intelligent. But, the post code for Lima, Peru; I don’t think so. Not in a million years. I said I was sorry that I did not know that fact.
She proceeded to get angry with me for not knowing. She was in a bind because she wanted to send a sample to a potential customer in Lima and she failed to get the customer’s full address and now her package was hung up in customs with FedEx or UPS or DHL.

I went to one site that I thought might help, http://www.cia.gov. That’s right Checkbook fans; I went to the Central Intelligence Agency web site to find the address for the American embassy in Lima. I learned that there are at least 33 post codes for the city of Lima since the Embassy is in Lima 33.

This was not what my acquaintance wanted to hear.

Hey babie, I’m sorry but the problem was not of my causing. Since it not of my causing, it is not my fault.

Where was my thank you for trying to help me Chuck? I guess that got lost in translation somewhere in the ether.

[Note to self: remove her from my ICQ contact list].

Nice Guy Chuck - Part 2
I was playing Nice Guy Chuck today with my friend Sharon.

Sharon is still sick with her pneumonia and can’t work because of her doctor’s orders. I know she hates her job so I forwarded a job I saw that she could fill and it would not be too far of a drive for her from her home.

I forget her regular email address so I forwarded the job information to the address I could remember. I thought I was doing a good thing. I called her and left her a cell phone message so she would pick up the email.

Did I get a thank you?

No.

I got a voicemail from Sharon while I was at lunch. She was complaining to me about calling her during the day and possibly using up her prime time minutes on her cell phone.

I don’t think I was being unreasonable in being put off by this. I called her on a different cell phone so that I did not burn up her precious prime time or whatever it is called minutes.

Some days, it doesn’t seem to pay to get out of bed. Days like this make you want to not help anyone any more except maybe for your kids and a job recruiter.

That was my day; crummy as it was gentle readers.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home