Thursday, July 13, 2006

Weekend Preview

Weekend Preview
The weekend is here and not a day too soon for me. Of course, I have less than a full schedule of activities planned to occupy my time.

This is another weekend that I am devoting to dissertation writing. I want to finish the project and the only way I can finish is to write.

The weather at the beach should be perfect for cruising down along the bike path and watching the young, bikini clad, beach volleyball players in the sand. The forecasted highs for the weekend are around 80F / 27C. I only have one minor difficulty with cruising on the bike path and that is my bicycle tires are a mess and I do not have time to get it fixed before the weekend.

Lunch with Ray
I had lunch with my friend Ray. We worked together for a period at Imperial Capital Bank. His office is a few miles / kilometers from where I am working so we get together periodically.

The big topic of our lunches is who was the latest person that we knew to leave the bank. There were a couple of high level departures in June and these were surprises to me because they seemed like key players when they came on board the bank. Then, over the months their roles seemed to expand. Now, they are gone but not forgotten.

I wonder what employee morale is like now? I would hazard a guess and say that is not too high right now.

The bank has a practice of starting a new activity without fully thinking it through and when the obvious hard times come, and they always do, the bank tends to cut and run. This does not produce a consistent or coherent strategy or vision for the organization.

Ray told me that most of the people who were forced out before me seem to be doing just great. I am happy for them because they did not deserve to get pushed out except for maybe one or two.

The Princess
I spoke to the Princess this morning my time and afternoon for her. I am pleased to report that she is well and happy, especially since her weekend starts tonight. That is one of the best benefits of working a 4/40 schedule.

I wanted the Princess’ ideas and suggestions on a questionable social decision that was facing me. I had called her brother to get an independent male opinion. He was more or less supportive of my initial reaction.

The Princess, on the other hand, came right out and said no before I had laid out all of the players and explained their roles in the activity. I was inclined to say no and getting solid female affirmation was gratifying. It made my decision much easier. It is nice to have the family support also.

I have made my decision and have moved on from it.

Tattoos
I saw a young woman from one of the cosmetics companies classes today. She had an interesting tattoo on her bicep.

The young woman had a peacock on her bicep. The bird was standing on her shoulder and the bird’s tail draped down her arm. I thought that was an interesting way to cover her entire bicep. Unfortunately, having a monochromatic peacock seems to be a waste of ink and skin to me.

Why go to the trouble of having a peacock tattoo if you are only using grey ink for the tattoo?

I am certain there is a perfectly logical explanation of why she selected a monochromatic look. I did not stay around to ask those questions at the end of the day or the coz class.


I hope everyone has a good weekend and I will be back on Sunday with the usual Weekend Update.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home