Sunday, July 09, 2006

Weekend Update

Fussin’ and a Fixin’
I spent a good part of the weekend fussing and fixing my Verizon setup and how things work together. Normally, this part is just so incredibly terrible that you want to toss the whole personal computer out of the window, checking carefully first, of course, so that you won’t hit anyone.

This experience was better for me since the tech support people were all located in the good ol’ U S of A and spoken fluent American English which is not the same as what is spoken in the rest of the English speaking world.

Granted, I did have to listen to the annoying messages while I was on hold. I can put up with that if I can talk to someone who understands what I am saying and I can understand what he or she is saying. I will say this; the knowledge of the Indian tech support people seems to be higher than those that I encountered at Verizon. This could just have been the luck of the “next available tech support person” roulette wheel.

I was going to use Netscape Navigator for my browser and email programs because Doug said that my trouble with viewing my blog page could be the Internet Explorer browser. The change did work and I was able to see the blog the way it is supposed to be. I also checked how Internet Explorer looked and it looked just fine also.

I decided to stay with Netscape because it seemed to have fewer security failures. Choosing the lesser of two evils did not seem like a brilliant decision making process to me after I reflected on it.

Then, I decided to check for updates for my Microsoft programs on Friday night. Microsoft requires anyone to use IE 5.0 or higher to be able to download optional programs like new drivers and such. I can still get the security updates with Netscape but that seemed like a burden to me, having to switch between browsers to get useful updates.

Netscape, of course, will not work with Outlook Express. Why does that not surprise me?

Finally, I discovered that with Netscape that I could not create a blog posting in Microsoft Word and then do a cut and paste to put in the blog. That convinced me to go back to IE and Outlook Express for browsing and emailing.

Dinner at Morton’s
Doug and his friend and I went to dinner at Morton’s Saturday night. It was an absolutely wonderful meal; Morton’s always is that way. The thing that was so good was Amy, our favorite server, was working and she was our server last night. I should have asked her if I could post a photo of her in the blog but I managed to forget to do that.

Doug and I talked about my blog photo posting troubles at dinner. He said that maybe now was the time to go to Apple for the next computer and avoid all of the troubles that I have been having. While it is possible that I could avoid a great many of my troubles that I have been having with the computer and the Internet, I am just uncertain if I want to learn whole new programs just to avoid some computer problems.

I felt that solution was just too far to go for me at the present time. Doug’s friend agreed with me that changing to an Apple machine was an extreme solution and that my troubles did not seem to warrant any extreme measures yet.

Carbon Dating Myself
I can remember when the President of the United States of America was older than me. That is not the case any more.

Visitors
This was a big week for international visitors. Following the practice of listing the countries in order of visit, the non-domestic visitors came from the United Kingdom [twice], Canada [twice], Belgium, Hong Kong, and Japan.

Trees in the Park
As many of you know, I live next to a park. For those of you that did not know, now you do.

Friday night I was having my dinner and watching the local television news when I heard a loud cracking sound. I went out on the balcony and saw tree’s limb had shattered for no apparent reason. The tree looked perfectly healthy and there was no significant wind that could cause a tree limb to crack. It was getting dark so I really could not see the tree all that well.

I was on the balcony this afternoon, talking to Doug, about posting photos to the blog. He gave me some suggestions that may end up working for me. I took another look at the shattered tree limb. This was a large limb that was maybe eight or nine inches / twenty two centimeters in diameter where it cracked. The tree looked very healthy in the light of day, except for the now dying leaves on the branch.

Of course, it could have been diseased from insects and such. I noticed the two trees closest to my balcony had chewed up leaves all over. If the trees are infected, I certainly hope the Parks Department does something permanently and does it quickly. I would not want to have a weakened tree limb to come crashing into my bedroom some windy Winter evening.

Blog Photo Posting
I tried to post some photos today using the upload function. That didn’t work except for one attempt when I was able to upload a smaller Babe of the Moment photo for the sidebar. Doug offered to post the photos to his online photo server service and then send me the URLs so I could get the photos up that way.

I tried that approach and had no luck. I am thinking that Blogger is having some technical troubles or is overloaded. I will try again later tonight.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home