Thursday, June 29, 2006

Weekend Preview

Weekend Preview
As I reflect on my scribblings so far this week, I think I have covered just about everything that ought to go in the Weekend Preview. Aside from the Anime 2006 Expo, I will be writing for most of the extended weekend.

I am unsure what to expect from the Anime 2006 Expo. I am certain that I will see people dressed up as characters that I have absolutely no idea who or what they are supposed to be. They are probably very much like those people who dress in Star Trek costumes for the Star Trek conventions and the people who dress up from the Comic-Con in San Diego.

People, adults actually, dressed in character are somewhat upsetting in a convention setting and I wonder about their childhoods.

Since it is an anime exposition, I may purchase one or more DVDs. Doug reminded me to make certain that I buy only Region I DVDs or else I may have to buy a multi-region DVD player. That is one thing that I will definitely avoid.

Carbon Dating Myself
I was walking down the stairs in my building to pick up the mail the other day. I was following a young lady who appeared to be headed to the exercise room by the pool by the way she was dressed. When we got to the ground floor, she purposefully held the door open for me.

I wonder if she thought that I was really old and deserving of some help and assistance. I certainly felt very old for that.

Of course, I thanked her for holding the door for me.

Classmates.com or similar web sites
Have you ever registered at Classmates.com or some other site like Reunion.com?

I did maybe three or four years ago in a fit of boredom. Maybe I had smoked a bad cigar or drank some warm beer. I was having an off day and my decisions showed for it.

Anyway and more to the point, I happened to check out Classmates yesterday in response to an email that said someone from my high school class had registered. I thought it could be one of those women I had a foolish crush on when I was young and didn’t really know a lot of about women.

Someone could also point out that I still don’t know very much about women now either.

The new registrant was not from my class but had attended my high school when I was there. The name was a complete blank.

I did happen to come across a listing of all of the people who have looked at my profile.

That was a scary list. I don’t mean scary in an evil or bad sense. It was scary that so many people thought my profile, somehow, was all that interesting. Beyond the fact that my profile appeared interesting, probably half or more of those who looked at the profile where either in the high school before me and were gone or came after I had graduated. I stopped counting at around 175.

Why would someone who never knew me or had a chance to go to school with me bother to look my profile up?

I had only expected that my own class would want to know about me.

Either I must be incredibly fascinating or there are some people out there with way too much time on their hands. The strange thing is that only two people have ever contacted me, I think, through Classmates.com.

I take that back; there was a third but he was looking to contact my brother and used me as an information conduit. Does this count since I was only an incidental contact?

For the record, I have never looked at anyone’s profile.

No knowledge is good knowledge
I had given some serious thought to checking with Verizon about the status of the new DSL service on my way home from work today.

I had lots of time to think about the possibility of checking because I seemed to have missed every traffic light. In the end, I decided that if I did not check then I would not learn any bad or unpleasant information and be disappointed with Verizon so therefore no knowledge was the equivalent of good knowledge.

I will check on Monday morning to see when the modem and software might arrive at my house. I had given some thought to going out for all of the day or part of the day. I don’t want to spend almost the entire four days, sitting at a computer terminal and typing.

Preweekend Thoughts
In the words of Bill and Ted from BILL AND TED’S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE, “party on dudes.” I hope you all have a great weekend and I will have a posting for you on Tuesday, July 4th.

If you enjoy your freedom, be sure to thank a veteran.


Be well and stay happy gentle readers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home