Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Farewell Yukie Nakama

Farewell Yukie Nakama
Today is the last day for Yukie Nakama as the Women of the Moment. I like her and I probably will bring her back from time to time for encore appearances. Tomorrow is the start of Salma Hayek’s time as Woman of the Moment.




Doug
Doug called me last night after he got out of his class.

He was in a poor mood because he only received a grade of 90 out of a possible 100 on a paper for his American Television class. As we talked, I also was in a poor mood. I had proof read the paper and thought it was a solid piece of critical thinking, something any college senior should be proud of and what should be expected in an upper level course.

All of the points he made were supported and amplified by facts. The conclusions were drawn from the supported facts. This was a very good paper.

The reason for a grade of 90 was he went over the maximum length for the assignment.

That is stupid.

Students should be learning to think critically and not base their papers on simple unsupported conclusionary statements. The best grades went to students whose papers were clearly conclusionary.

I urged Doug to have a meeting with the professor and ask for a better explanation of the grade. I think the grade is sending the wrong messages to students.

[Dad gets down off of his soapbox.]

Coca Cola Blak
The Coca Cola Company has a new product out there called Coca Cola Blak. Coca Cola Blak is a combination of Coca Cola Classic and coffee.

I have drunk hundred and maybe thousands of gallons / liters of Coca Cola Classic and coffee in a variety of forms, flavors, and brews in the course of my sometimes misspent life. I had a coupon for a USD$1.00 off of a purchase of a four, individual sized bottle package of Blak.

I figured, why not through a few more dollars down and try a four-pack?

Big mistake.

Blak is a big mistake in my mind and was a horrible experience for my tongue. The advertising company that went along with the coupon made it sound like the drink combined the best parts of Coke and coffee. I guess Coca Cola was trying to capture some of the coffee drinking market and appear to be more modern and youth oriented.

Either it was wrong or my taste buds have been so corrupted with everything else I have consumed in my life. After carefully reflection and consideration, I’m tending to go with what my taste buds told me that this drink tasted like carbonated burnt French roast coffee.

It was bitter and unpleasant.

It had an ugly after taste that lasted until I went to El Gringo on Taco Tuesday [buy one taco and get one taco free] and buried the taste with my dinner of two beef tacos, rice, beans, chips, and salsa.

I only have one problem now. What do I do with the three remaining individual sized bottles of Coca Cola Blak in my refrigerator?

Carbon Dating Myself
I can remember when Coca Cola only came in 12 ounce / 35 centiliter glass bottles and that it only came in two versions, warm and cold.

I can remember having contests with my friends to see whose bottle had come the farthest too where we drinking the Coke. The bottling plant’s city and state were on the bottom of the bottle.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home