Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Phone Calls

Lisa the Matchmaker
Lisa the Matchmaker called me last night after I posted the Monday blog; otherwise, I would have included her phone call in the blog.

Normally, I don’t like to talk to people when they are in their cars and they are using their cell phones. I made an exception for Lisa because I knew she was driving home on one of Southern California’s slow moving non-Freeways. You can still get in an accident but you’re not going fast enough to injure yourself. Bent bumpers and fractured fenders can always be fixed.

Yesterday was Lisa’s first day back to work after her most recent round of surgery for the blood clot in her arm. She has another surgery in connection with the blood clot in about a month but it is a relatively minor one that won’t knock her out of work for two weeks like the last one.

Lisa wanted to know what was happening with me and her friend Liz the Lonely. I said that she must have forwarded my last email on to Liz because she called me that day. I said it was a good conversation [see Lisa the Matchmaker – September 19, 2006 blog].

I was waiting for Liz to call me some time next week and make plans to meet in person. I told Lisa that I thought we would probably have coffee and chat, sort of one of those get- to-you-know-you-better meetings.

Personally, I have never really cared much for one of those types of meetings. But, I’m willing to go forward with one if it will advance things with Liz the Lonely and me. Besides, Liz the Lonely said she would drive more than half way to meet me and that is worth something with gas prices as they are.

Lisa said that we were a lot alike.

Naturally, I asked how so.

Lisa said we were both people who planned our lives and our days. I agreed that I certainly do that with some degree of success. Lisa laughed when I said that perhaps Liz and I can organize a spontaneous event sometime.

Planners do things like that you know.

Doug
Doug called me while I was at Barnes & Noble, picking up some books to read while I wait for Liz the Lonely to call me. I don’t watch network television for all of the obvious reasons.

Of course, Doug would be quick to tell me about all of the good shows that are on network television. One of his courses last semester was American Television. I find it amazing that the university has a course on American Television and that this can be a major area of study and the university will grant a Master’s degree in American Television.

Doug was calling to check in with me and see how things were going. I said I was doing ok and that life was treating me well. I told him that I did enjoy a successful meeting with my Dissertation Committee and that the Committee accepted my first chapter and that the Chair agreed to a change in part of my research work.

That was pretty good he thought.

Doug asked me if I would have time to review a paper he has to write for his Directing class. I said that I can do that but I won’t know if what he is saying makes any sense or not. That was fine since he knew what he would be saying was correct; he just wanted me to look at the grammar and sentence structure.

I told him that it should be an easy paper to read and comment on. I ought to be able to turn the paper around overnight for him.

Job Searching and Interviewing
I had a call this afternoon from another search firm that was looking for someone like me with solid credit skills for a bank in Orange County. We talked for a while and I seemed to be what the bank was looking for or so the recruiter said. It remains to be seen if the client will share the recruiter’s enthusiasm or not for my candidacy.

Coupons
I got an email coupon from Office Depot today for a USD$10.00 discount on any purchase of USD$50.00 or more. I knew I was running low on black ink in my printer so this was a jackpot for me. Two black ink cartridges and maybe a color cartridge for the printer would be over the minimum purchase amount to qualify for the discount.

The local Office Depot was not that far away so I combined a trip there with a stop on the way back at Barnes & Noble and the market.

I got to the Office Depot and found they were out of my printer cartridge size.

That was so discouraging for me. I guess I will go back this weekend and see if they have restocked the shelves with my size printer cartridge by then.

Woman of the Moment
The Woman of the Moment is never discouraging to me; maybe that is because I pick all of the Women of the Moments.





Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home