Sunday, November 12, 2006

Weekend Update - November 12th

Veterans Day
Did you enjoy your freedom and liberty over the weekend?

If you did, then thank a Veteran because without Veterans, there would be no liberty and no freedom.




It should come as no surprise to any of the regular gentle readers of this blog that I am proud to have served my nation in its armed forces and proud to have served as an officer in the United States Navy and in the United States Marine Corps Reserve.

The Princess called me to wish me a Happy Veterans Day. Doug called me as well. That was very nice of both of them to think of me today.

Sharon
You will recall that I had invited my friend Sharon to join Doug and me for dinner at Morton’s next Saturday. Sharon has been our friend for a long time, at least eighteen years.

Sharon called me on Friday and said that she checked her calendar. She has to go to a post charity golf tournament awards dinner that night.

I was over her decline almost immediately. Being the good sport that I am, I wished her a fun dinner of rubber chicken, a boring salad, and a dull dessert.

That was probably a mistake on my part.

Sharon went into a long discussion about not being invited to Morton’s with Doug and me and occasionally others. In particular, she was upset about not being invited to dinner at Morton’s with us in October like we always have in the past.

This was when I discovered she had selective memory failure.

Sharon forgot about the Big Douguary Dinner that she went to in February. I offered to send her some photos of the event that show she was there, sitting next to me and close to Doug. I then reminded her that I invited her to the traditional Chuckay Dinner at Morton’s in May that she passed on. I also reminded her about the invitation from us to take her out in July for her birthday to Morton’s.

It’s not like we don’t like her and don’t want to have her come to dinner with us.

Then, Sharon asked about the big Morton’s October dinners. I said we never had any regular dinners in October. I did say that this year Doug and I invited his friend Rob to go to an all you can eat Brazilian bar-be-que place for dinner in September. I reminded her that I didn’t invite her because it was a boys’ night out dinner.

Sharon is still unhappy with not going to Morton’s.

Pushing away from the dinner table with Sharon, we did talk some more about her new company. Most of our talk was on pricing new products and how to go about it. We touched briefly on pricing strategies.

I said I would look around in my saved articles from McKinsey & Company on pricing and send them to Sharon. McKinsey & Company is probably the world’s leading consulting firm for strategy. It is very difficult to argue against what they believe is a correct business position to take.

I found about 3.0MB of legally downloaded files that are freely available on the Internet and sent them off to her. I said that she could print them out and that maybe she could use them in her pricing project.

The Princess
The Princess is or was in San Francisco this weekend for the wedding of one of her University of South Carolina Graduate School classmates. I know that she had fun in San Francisco because her roommate was there along with her friends Sara and Melissa.

She went to dinner with her favorite aunt and uncle [my brother and sister-in-law] on this past Thursday at MacArthur Park. The Princess had the lobster ravioli and she said it was excellent and that she had a wonderful time there with them.

On Saturday, she went to Fisherman’s Wharf for her lunch. Why not go there if you are a tourist in from Atlanta for the weekend. I was surprised that she had lunch at the In n Out Hamburger on the wharf.

In n Out Hamburger is a Southern California legend. I know that she has gone to the local, Orange County outlets many times. There are a couple of In n Outs near where her mother lives. I have a couple of In n Outs near my place. They have a very limited menu of hamburgers of various sizes, French fries, and drinks. It makes ordering very simple especially since you serve yourself for your drink.

I suppose it makes sense to opt for well known comfort food when you are in a strange place.

Visitors
It was another good week for foreign visitors. We had visitors from New Zealand, Australia [2], United Kingdom [3], Poland [2], Hong Kong, Taiwan [2], Germany [2],
Texas, Canada [3], Peru [2], United Arab Emirates, Singapore [2], Israel, Switzerland, France, Japan [4], and Malaysia.

We had one visitor who stopped by and visited 13 pages in less than five minutes. I’m guessing this visitor was mostly interested in the Woman of the Moment photos.

Woman of the Moment
Now would be a good spot for the Woman of the Moment.





The good University of Utah football team showed up at Rice – Ecceles Stadium in Salt Lake City yesterday on a cold day with a steady rain throughout the second half. They beat the weaker Colorado State University Rams 35-22.

Victory always makes the cold and discomfort of the day go away quickly.

Our Utes are now 6-4 [wins – losses] for the season and 4-2 in the Mountain West Conference. This victory over the Rams makes the Utes eligible for a post season bowl game. A bowl appearance would be their fourth consecutive trip to play at the end of the year. I think they have to win at least one more victory against either the Air Force Academy next week in Colorado Springs or in two weeks against Brigham Young University, ranked at Number 25 in the nation, in Salt Lake City to end the season.

Sevens wins would probably result in a bowl appearance before Christmas and eight wins might mean an appearance between Christmas and New Years Day.

The game was not as close as the score would appear. Utah had over 500 yards of total offense and the quarterback, Brent Ratliff, passed for 296 yards, two touchdowns, and one interception. That is a nice day’s work I think especially when it was raining throughout the second half.

You know it is not a close game when the Utes’ All Conference defense back Eric Weddle ran a few plays as quarterback. Weddle had a six yard touchdown run. The Utes ran a triple reverse that resulted in a thirty yard gain.

Dissertation
I had a ninety minute meeting with my Dissertation Committee Chair on Friday.

It was a good meeting for me.

I had made some errors with the earlier work that I had done on my Chapter 2. I was happy that I did not write and complete a chapter that was over 120 pages long. That would have been a waste of my time and my energy.

I will have to rewrite Chapter 2 and I am looking forward to the rewrite. My revised version will be much shorter, probably around forty pages or so. That is good for me.

We also talked about some of my research work and how it supported my theories. I was pleased that the archival data does tend to support one of my principle theories. I was also pleased that the archival data is very solid in terms of accuracy and reliability.

Doug
I have been working with Doug this week on editing his class papers. I can always tell when the semester is heading for the end when his volume of papers to review increases dramatically.

The last one that I worked on, last night actually, was for his Film Studies class.

I was glad that he phoned me in advance and warned me that the paper was not like any other I had seen. The professor didn’t want an introductory or a concluding paragraph. That struck me as being rather odd.

Doug said that his paper tended to jump around a bit but that it was acceptable to his professor and along the lines of what she was looking for.

Oh.

In all of my many years in college, thirteen or fourteen in all I think, I have never written a paper that lacked an introductory or a concluding paragraph. All of my papers were logically organized and laid out. Of course, this may have been the result of my fields of study, business and law.

Oh well, one more semester for me to go for as an editor.

Doug said his professor was new to the university and didn’t understand a lot of things yet. The Film Studies class meets on Sunday afternoon; don’t ask me why it meets then. Doug has to drive to school on Friday to turn in his paper instead turning it in on Sunday at class. Doug’s university is largely a commuter school so the extra trip can be very costly now that the price of gasoline just inched up this week.

That extra trip to school is likely to make most of the student upset. It will probably result in some very adverse student evaluations of the professor. Apparently, no one seems to like the professor very much.

El Gringo
I went to El Gringo for lunch – dinner today. Whitney was my server; she was the only server working when I ate this afternoon. I like to eat around 3:00 PM so I miss the normal lunch and dinner crowds.

This is a photo of Whitney.


I think I could have done a better job of focusing her image. Whitney was being very kind when she said it was a good photo.

I had the Pollo Negro Salad. I think the cook went a little overbroad on the spices because my mouth was burning an hour or so after my finished my meal. I think my mouth will recover my next weekend.

I had thought about going to El Gringo on Friday after my Dissertation Committee meeting. But, I didn’t get to El Gringo until 7:30 PM and by then they were crowded with people waiting outside. That was my sign to consider alternative dining arrangements. In my case, that would be home.


That was my weekend gentle readers. I hope your weekend was memorable and fun.

Be well and stay happy.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are a lot of ugly tourist trap restaurants at Fisherman's Whalf; conversely, that is the only In-n-Out in the city proper. So eating there is not such a bad choice, and when I am up near the wharf, I often eat there as well. There's lots of great food in SF these days, but very little of it is at Fisherman's Wharf.

Other good In-n-Out locations: in Daly City, near Serra Bowl; on Hegenberger Rd by the Oakland Airport. There's also one off Millnbrae Ave, but if I'm down there I'd much rather eat at Fook Yuen, Shanghai Dumpling King, or the dim sum place on the corner of Millbrae Ave and El Camino, whose name I can't remember.

1:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home