Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Sunny and almost Warm

Sunny and almost Warm
It was sunny and almost warm today at the beach. This means it is almost time to break out my shorts and wear them until the Fall. I think the temperature needs to stay around 70F / 21C for a couple of days before I will be ready for shorts.

We are having a very dry Winter so far in Southern California. Our rainfall is only 1.4 inches or around 3 centimeters. Our rainfall total normally should be four times as much at this time of the year. I don’t think we will have water shortages because the snow pack in the mountains in Northern and Central California, where we get most of our water, is at or above normal. The rest of our water comes from the Colorado River and we know the Rocky Mountains received lots of snow so far this year.

So, what does this all have to do with the price of tea in China?

Largely nothing; but, it is very likely Southern California will have more brush and forest fires next year because the plants will be completely dead and dry for the most part. Those fires that do start will burn more aggressively, faster, and longer.

This is one of the prices we pay to live in Southern California.

El Gringo
I went to El Gringo on Sunday as usual.

Whitney was not the server again. I am guessing that she either has moved to one of the other two El Gringos or is no longer working there. I had a new server on Sunday and enjoyed a Number 2 Combination of two soft carnitas [pork] tacos with rice and beans.

I will not be going to El Gringo again tomorrow because of class. My class starts at 6:00 PM so I would have to leave El Gringo by 4:00 PM at the latest to have a decent shot at the traffic. Since my Wednesday morning class gets out around 1:00 PM that makes things difficult for me to get there and back in good order.

When I was leaving El Gringo on Sunday, I noticed Alyssa was coming in to work as a server. I think I will go to El Gringo a little later on this coming Sunday since there is no football to watch. Maybe Alyssa will be there; she is a fun server with an attitude.

ICQ
Do you participate in ICQ or one of those other instant messaging programs? If you do, maybe you can explain this phenomenon to me.

I am logged as being Not Available and people will add me to their contact list. Once they add me, they never contact me. Why add a person to a contact list if you don’t plan to contact the person? Is there a contest for the largest contact list and someone forgot to tell me?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Doug
Doug came over last night after class. His class got out earlier than usual because it was the first night.

We talked about his classes. They do not look too terribly hard. There are no long papers to write so that means I am unlikely to be doing much in the way of proof reading for him this term. I think one class limits the periodic paper length to one page.

This morning we talked about the Academy Award nominations before he left for his internship and I returned to my lesson plans. For the most part, we aren’t too upset. We thought CHILDREN OF MEN deserved a nomination for Best Picture. It was a more eclectic collection of films this that won the Best Picture nomination. There seemed to be more independent and smaller films being recognized this year.

Woman of the Moment
I was watching my Sunday Japanese limited series soap opera and picked up the names of two of the supporting actresses, Eiko Koiko and Mao Kobayashi. I found that their photos are readily available on the Internet so they will end up in the Weekend Bonus Features sometimes towards mid-Spring.

It looks like we will start next week, Monday actually, with a new Woman of the Moment. I am leaning towards a Double Woman of the Moment and feature both Gong Li and Michelle Yeoh. I like both of these actresses because they are able to play a wide range of roles and are still very successful and over forty. Forty seems like an expiration date for an actress. It is nice to see an older woman do well.

All of which leads us to the current Woman of the Moment, Jamie Frontz.





Be well and stay happy gentle readers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home