Friday, January 19, 2007

Weekend Preview - January 19th

My classes and other man made disasters
Have you ever been driving on the highway and you come upon a wreck on the other side of the room and you slow down to take a close look at it as you drive past? You had a sort of sickly feeling and were so happy that it wasn’t you in the other car.

My two night classes, Wednesday and Thursday, are a lot like really bad train wrecks. This was the first time I had been in either class.

My Wednesday class is microeconomics. This week was supposed to be the course mid-term examination. The students were so unprepared that none of them knew they were supposed to have had an examination that night.

This is not the way to teach anyone. I ended up postponing the mid-term for one week and used the class session for a quick review. I am also going to give the students a study guide of topics to take a look at before the examination next week. I want to make certain the students have a fair chance at passing the examination.

Of course, there will be one or two students out of the class of 32 that I can not reach. I feel sorry for them because they will be so far in a hole that they will not be able to climb out in the remaining four weeks of class.

Thursday night was an almost mirror image of Wednesday night; students were unprepared and confused. Last night’s class was on research methods or how to write a research based term paper. I thought this was a rather advanced course for what the school is offering. But, far be it from me to question the efficacy of the course offering.

I have been teaching there only a week now. I really like a couple of my classes because at least some of the students seem to want to learn.

I have had a couple of instructors come up to me and ask me if I am going to be teaching next term. They said that I should stay around. One of the department chairs, who evaluated my teaching skills, said the school needs strong instructors like me.

That is scary for me.

I know I am not that good of a teacher but to be told this so early it scares me and makes me wonder.

The administration is like all administrations; it is mostly concerned with the paperwork and the details that satisfy the accrediting agency. The administration places more emphasis on taking attendance and then phoning the students who did not show up. I have never been in a college teaching situation where I have had to phone students who skipped a class.

I think I told you that I took over from a teacher who left the school on a medical leave. My department chair was grousing to me about the lack of grades for homework and such in the course records.

Hello.

I just started so any missing grades are not my responsibility. Why weren’t you checking on the teacher?

Anyway, I am finished in another five weeks and then I will see if I want to teach anymore courses for the school or just take my money and run.

Douguary
The long time readers of the blog know about Douguary. It is coming soon.

Douguary, for those of you who are new to the blog, is a month long celebration of all things Doug. Douguary traditionally ends with a dinner for Doug and some friends and Dad at Morton’s.

In the past, I have invited my friend Sharon to join us at Douguary. She has been to the last couple of Douguary dinners. Sharon is fun to be with and, as Doug says, “you can never have too many hot chicks around.” I phoned Sharon this morning and invited her. I know it is early but she has lots going on in her life. As it turned out, Sharon said she had to go a grand opening for a new branch on Saturday morning and afternoon and then she was going out to a night club on Saturday night.

Doug and I were talking later on today.

I told him that Sharon will not be able to attend this year. He said, “Oh.” I think he is over Sharon not being able to have dinner with us. This also means we may have a little more elbow room at the table.

Woman of the Moment
I thought about including the missed of the Jamie Frontz photos from Wednesday and Thursday so you won’t feel left out or you won’t go to sleep feeling that you missed something.








Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home