Friday, January 26, 2007

Weekend Preview - January 26th

Weekend Preview
I don’t have too much planned to do this weekend except work on school stuff. I may go to the cinema and catch LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA or SMOKIN’ ACES. Doug was very interested in seeing SMOKIN’ ACES.

Doug
Doug and I had dinner at El Gringo on Tuesday night. I had originally thought about going to Giuliano’s for our meal but Doug had a sandwich for his lunch so he wasn’t interested in another sandwich for dinner.

His internship is working out very well for him. Some days are better than others of course and he has more interesting work to do. We talked about internships again today. He may pick up a second internship which will look good on his resume when he graduates this Spring. The nice thing about the second internship is that it would be in the same building and on the same floor as his current internship so he would not be a stranger there. He ought to be able to handle a second internship since he is only taking two real courses and neither one of them appears to be heavy on papers or reading.

Since Douguary is just around the corner, we also talked about what would be an appropriate Douguary Gift and discussed who might be invited to the traditional Douguary Dinner at Morton’s. The tentative dinner list looks like the usual suspects from last year and the year before that.

Classes
I had my second instructor evaluation last night. The evaluation was by one of the department chairs. I am a business teacher primarily but I am helping the school out by teaching a General Education class so the evaluation was from the General Education chair. I think I did well on the evaluation. I received mostly all 1’s and a few 2’s. 1 is the highest score you can receive.

I found out last night that my Thursday night class had experienced some serious student conflict prior to my starting at the school. That was nice of the school to tell me this when I have to face a very hostile classroom of students.
I wonder what else the school didn’t tell me.

My Thursday class, Research Methods, is basically a writing class. The course revolves around the creation of research project paper. I have one older adult student who doesn’t seem to understand what I am saying in class. I told the students to take a very small subject because a small subject could be completed in the time left for the course. This student asked me to approve a topic last night that was so overly broad and could never covered in the scope of this course.

I was reading some student work for the Research Methods class today for grading. I ran across one paper that appears to be heavily plagiarized. It seems like one of the four pages was copied from the original material over 80% of the page without any attribution or identification of the original authors.

I will dump that issue in the department chair’s lap on Monday.

Microsoft Windows Desktop Search
I have valid copies of Microsoft Windows XP and Office so I get the weekly update notification from Microsoft. One that came out in early January featured Microsoft Windows Desktop Search.

I was intrigued by this program.

Desktop Search was presented as a way to find files and documents in your hard drive. It seemed like a good idea to download since I tend to store information. It would allow me to find a file easier.

Good idea.

Bad application.

Desktop Search slowed every single function down to a bare crawl. It was like downloading a two megabyte file over a 28.8K modem and phone line.

Painful was an inadequate adjective for me. Painful is an adjective that I can use freely in mixed company and in front of small children.

In addition to making the laptop being painfully slow, I could not run Symantec’s Live Update that would keep the laptop safe. I could not run the McAfee Site Advisor program either. This meant I could have blundered into an unsafe site and possibly downloaded something really nasty and evil.

After suffering for about two weeks, I pulled Desktop Search out this morning. My laptop is now running much smoother and faster and more responsively. I was able to download updates to my Symantec programs this morning. That made me feel more secure now.

I thought that I did not really need the search function since I like to use the full 256 character file label function. 256 characters is a lot of information so I ought to be able to find the files. I had to do this before I downloaded the Windows Desktop Search program.

News Item
Mexico burned four tons of marijuana that had been seized by their police today. I wonder how many people were standing or rather sitting down wind from the blaze.

Woman of the Moment
We are coming to the end of Jamie Frontz now. Sunday’s Weekend Update’s will be the last viewing. Of course, there are always the Best of the 2007 Women of the Moment retrospectives where Jamie and others might appear again.





I hope you all have a wonderful weekend gentle readers.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home