Sunday, December 30, 2007

Weekend Update - December 30th

Weekend Update
This was a quiet weekend for me. I had no plans.

I was driving the Prelude this last week for a change. The car rolled over 348,000 miles – 540,000 kilometers on Friday afternoon for me. That is a lot of distance for one vehicle

My faithful Handspring Visor [early personal data assistant] failed on me this week. It is close to 15 or 16 years old. I knew that I had to replace it because the operating system provider, Palm, was not going to provide an upgrade so the machine would run on Windows Vista. I think the first Windows System that I used it on Windows 3.0, just before Windows 95 was launched.

That seems like an eternity.

I went to the local Best Buy store to see if they had anything that would work for me. Big mistake. All of the clerks were very familiar with MP3s and the combination PDA and cell phone. No one knew anything about a simple machine.

Disappointed, I came home and search the Palm.com website. I found that Palm only manufactured three PDAs; only one of which was simple device that kept the calendar and address book. I then checked the local stores to see if they had any of the simple PDAs in stock. The Palm website indicated that my local Office Depot not only sold the PDA but actually had some in stock.

I hopped in the Prelude and drove over. I found the aisle that was supposed to have PDAs for sale. The only devices I found for sale in the display cases were MP3 players. Obviously, not the result I was looking for. I spoke with one of the clerks and he said they didn’t have any PDAs. In thinking back, I doubt he understood what I was asking about.

On Saturday, Doug showed me how to order online from Best Buy for an in store pickup. It was simple and I saved USD$10 on the transaction. Now, all I have to do is visit Best Buy in the next seven days and pickup the order.

Then, I have to transfer all of the address and other information from my old Visor to the new Palm Z22 PDA. That is something that I can do next weekend.

I should be hearing from my friend Sharon about whether she can come to my Marketing Research class and make a presentation as a guest lecturer on focus groups and other forms of observational market research. Sharon is close to an expert on the subject and she should be able to give the students an alternative view on the subject.

On Thursday, I got an invitation from the Molly Moon Salon where Amber works to a grand reopening reception after the remodeling. Normally, I would be the first one in line at the door to see and chat with Amber and Natalie the Receptionist. I am going to pass because the party will be on the day after I have my first chemotherapy infusion or IV drip. It doesn’t seem like a very sound idea to plan for something when I am uncertain how I will feel. I will also have a class that Saturday and that is a wild card, if you will, also.

Visitors
We had another good week for visitors. I know people aren’t coming for my witty writing. I know because I checked the exit pages and it seems that most of you are interested in the Woman of the Moment photo images.

We had a total of xxx visitors to the blog this week. I measure blog visitors from Sunday to Sunday, when I go online to post the Weekend Update. It is not the most precise measurement but, then, who cares if I miss one or two visitors?

I don’t care all that much.

We had visitors from Canada [16], Japan [12], Lithuania, Mexico, [3], Russia [2], Australia [5], Saudi Arabia [4], Germany, Aruba, Texas [5], Croatia, Indonesia [3], United Arab Emirates, Argentina, Philippines [2], Brazil, Netherlands, Malaysia [2], Singapore [2], Vietnam [2], India, United Kingdom [2], Poland, Finland [2], Sweden, Belgium, Hong Kong [2], Costa Rica, Spain [3], Korea, Italy, Kuwait, Chile, Taiwan, Iran [3], France, South Africa, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Italy.

Last week was the first time for visits from Aruba and Bosnia and Herzegovina.

We also had several visitors who stopped bye for an extended time. Actually, we had a lot of long time visitors; they stayed for 30 minutes, 27 minutes, 15 minutes, 14 minutes, 12 minutes, 11 minutes and two who stayed for 10 minutes.

I do appreciate all of you who took time to stop bye and visit the blog.

Doug
Doug stopped bye on Saturday morning. We had talked about him coming over to help take down my Christmas decorations. We had talked off and on about him stopping bye; in the end, he thought he might be over around 1:00 PMish. Doug was uncertain just when he would get up. Doug stays up much later than I do, you see.

I was surprised when he came through the front door around 11:00 AM. Doug said he had spent the night at his friend Rob’s apartment. Doug had gone over to Rob’s to watch a screener copy of the film JUNO. Doug highly recommends JUNO, NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, and THERE WILL BE BLOOD as some of the best films of the year. I may try to get out to see them this week.

Doug and I went to Giuliano’s for our lunch. I had a small roast beef sandwich and Doug had a large hot pastrami sandwich. They were both very good. I do wish I had picked up a bag of potato chips because they would have been excellent with the sandwiches.

The Princess’ Wedding Photos
I mailed the photos of the Princess’ Wedding to the family and close friends today. I will mail my brother’s copy next week when I send him a month’s worth of the Los Angeles Times Sports Section. No sense in paying extra for the photos when I can send them in a flat rat box with lots of newspaper insulation.

I hope everyone likes the work I did in editing Doug’s photos. He had over 900 photos from the wedding and related events. I cut the three CDs he gave me down to one CD with the essential 364 images and 688 MB of file space.


This was my weekend. I hope your post-Christmas weekend was good and enjoyable.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home