Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Weekend Update - June 3rd

Me and the Cancer
Doug and I went to the regularly scheduled meeting with the oncologists on May 30th. It was not a very exciting meeting for me because there was no new news; Doug and I picked up the new information at the prior meeting. The doctor did say that my tests were all fine and in the normal range.

The doctor offered a personal suggestion of a web site that provided recipes for very healthy eating. She had seen some amazing results from the diets the web site has to offer. I said I would give it a look and see.

The doctor said that the hospital’s Tumor Board would probably consider my on going treatment plan later this month. I have scheduled visit for an evaluation with a colo-rectal surgeon next week.

I wonder if there is a Tuless Board at the hospital.

That was a medical joke; tumore and tuless. Get it? Maybe I need some help from Doug with my humor efforts.

The diets are all based on raw and organic foods. That lost me almost immediately. I looked at one for ketchup. It included some raw dates that were placed in a food processor and then pureed. Naturally, I don’t have a food processor and don’t plan to buy one. I don’t think that I have ever had any ketchup that included dates in the recipe; the H. J. Heinz Company doesn’t include dates in their ketchup.

For those of you who would like to visit the web site; it is http://www.hacres.com.

Seattle and the Princess and the Golfer and the Nephew and his Girl Friend
I’m going to write about the trip in two parts; one is the plane ride and the other is the dinner. The plane ride can be a feature tomorrow. I will probably add some photos tomorrow as well.

I walked from my hotel to the Seattle Morton’s; it was only six or seven short blocks and it was all down hill. I got a ride back to the hotel from the Princess after dinner. It was on the cool side so I was very happy that I brought my raincoat with the liner zipped in and my wool scarf.

We had a perfect table that was close to the kitchen so we could see our meal being cooked. It was also nice and warm there too.

This was a family dinner and I was interested in meeting the nephew’s Girl Friend. I think she is dead solid perfect; she loves beef, enjoys a good glass of wine, has a great sense of humor and is a good conversationalist, and loves chocolate. What more can you ask for in a woman?

Not much more in my mind.

I had my usual small steak with a salad. I was going to have a couple of scoops of vanilla ice cream until our server mentioned that he had chocolate ice cream available. I had three scoops of chocolate ice cream.

The Girl Friend followed my small steak and salad. She ordered the really incredibly rich chocolate cake. She also helped herself to some my Nephew’s dessert ice cream. The Nephew had his usual Cajun style rib eye steak with French fries and a salad. I’m not sure if he was willingly sharing his dessert with the Girl Friend. I’ll just assume that he was being a gentleman.

The Princess and the Golfer ordered identical dinners; jumbo limp crab cakes as an appetizer and grilled salmon. I know the Princess was not sharing her Morton’s Chocolate cake dessert with anyone, even dear old Dad. I think the Golfer had key lime pie for his dessert.

I know well I should say that I am highly confident that we had a fun time. Maybe we were on the loudish side because we were having fun and wanted to make the most of the evening.

I know we went through two bottles of wine and that probably helped us along with our fun.

The Princess said that she wanted to have more family get togethers now since the family is growing. Excellent.

Doug and Defamer.com
Doug is among the gainfully employed, recent college graduates and has been for a couple of months now. That makes his parents happy and proud. Plus, he can say that he is a working writer in Hollywood.

Sweet.

Doug writes some really crisp and sarcastic commentary, based on paparazzi images, for Defamer. Defamer is an entertainment industry focused web site so it sort of helps if you have some passing knowledge of film and music. Doug takes an image and then adds his own spin to it and that may include his versions of imaginary conversations and quotes.

Doug has made several publicists and agents upset enough to call his editor and complain, all of which excites his editor because this means Doug has been successful. It also points out how many of these people in Hollywood have no sense of humor.

His dad watches TMZ on Fox to stay sort of close to the rapidly spinning loop.

If you want to check out his writing, go to http://defamer.com and scroll down until you come to an article captioned, “A Call to the Bullpen,” as how Doug’s articles are identified.

The Baby Blues and Changing the Dressing
I had hoped that I would see Glenda or Jennifer to change my dressing last Thursday. Instead, Myrna changed my dressing. We talked about my chemotherapy progress. Myrna thought that I was doing so well in such a short time.

My next dressing change is this coming Friday. I will combine a dressing change and an infusion session. This should be my last infusion session unless I get put on a new and different round of chemotherapy.

Dinner with Merit
As I drove over to El Gringo last Thursday, I had one of those epiphany moments when I realized that with my new teaching schedule I would not be able to have dinner with Merit on Thursday because I have a Thursday evening class that runs from 6:00 to 9:20 PM. Even if I had an early dinner, I would not be able to be in the classroom on time.

That made me sad.

Merit greeted me with a “Hello Charles and where have you been the last couple of weeks?”

I explained that for one Thursday Doug and I had gone to the Original Tommy’s Hamburgers for a late lunch and had both ordered Mega Combos for lunch. I told Merit that I was still full the next morning. Then, I had a faculty meeting where they served food. I could only eat half of what was expected of us so I skipped visiting El Gringo.

Merit said she understood and that she was happy that I was not seeing some other food server.

Then, I told Merit that I wouldn’t be coming to El Gringo much in the near future because of my teaching schedule. I thought Merit would be unhappy.

Surprisingly, Merit was not unhappy. She asked about my schedule and I told that I wasn’t teaching on Tuesday or Wednesday nights.

“Excellent Charles, you can come on Tuesdays when I work here and even better its Taco Tuesday where you get two tacos for the price of one.”

This is a money saving opportunity for me to a limited extent since I don’t like to eat tacos every time I visit El Gringo. I like some variety in my meals. Still, everything will come together for me going forward.

My Brother
My Brother flew into town on Monday for a short business trip. He stayed with me on Monday and then stayed with our friend George on Tuesday. He is scheduled to fly back to the Bay area on Wednesday.

Our big event was our dinner at L. A. Food Show in Manhattan Beach. We each had an order of their Avocado Bacon Chicken eggrolls. It is a family tradition to not share our favorite foods; if someone wants to try them, then they can order the dish. My Brother thought they were on the spicy side; I said that was because he dipped them in the spicy sauce.

I wimped out and showed no enthusiasm for any adventurous food. I had a half pound Show Burger with avocado and raw onions. Our server Courtney giggled when I said I was wimping out on my food choice.

My Brother decided to try a new item on the menu. He had the Seafood Enchiladas with wok fried rice and refried black beans. The enchiladas were filled shrimp, scallops, and swordfish. It also came with a Salsa Verde sauce; this made the dish too spicy for my Brother.

We skipped dessert on my suggestion that we put off dessert until later since I had some Starbucks Java Chip Ice Cream [coffee ice cream with chunks of chocolate] at home. My Brother thought that was one of my better ideas of the day. We had the ice cream while we watched my Korean language soap opera. I’m not certain that he could enjoy it as much as I could; maybe if he had been there since Episode 1. Last night was Episode 163.

One of the big topics at our dinner was the Seattle dinner. I said that I thought everyone had a good time. My Brother said that he had spoken with his son [the Nephew] on Sunday and the Nephew said the dinner was “awesome.”

That is a pretty great review.

Weekend Update
Changing times.

I read an Associated Press report on Friday the 30th that the Kingdom of Bahrain has just appointed a Jewish woman to be its ambassador to the United States of America. Bahrain is a Persian Gulf emirate with very close ties to the United States. The ruling family is Sunnis and most of the Arab population is Shiites.

Fascinating results in a complex and changing world.

Visitors
We had another good week for visitors. We had visitors from Germany [6], Latvia, Ireland, Japan [28], Spain [5], Greece, Denmark, United Kingdom [3], Ukraine, Turkey [2], Australia [3], Texas, [5], Israel [2], Iran [3], Austria, Malaysia, Thailand, Netherlands, New Zealand, Mexico, Brazil [4], Italy [5], Poland, Sweden, Russia, Canada [7], France [2], Finland, Singapore [3], Korea [2], Saudi Arabia Slovenia, India, Panama, United Arab Emirates, Belgium, and Morocco.

I think this may have been the first time for a visitor from Morocco. The Japanese visitors, 28 strong, must have discovered my archival postings of the Women of the Moment that featured Japanese actresses. That would explain the surge in visits over the past week.

We had a total of 1,070 visits for the month. I do appreciate everyone who ventured out to see the blog this last week and month.


That was my extended vacation weekend. I hope your weekend was worthwhile and enjoyable.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home