Sunday, September 14, 2008

Weekend Update - September 14th

My Friend Sunny
I got an email from my friend Sunny. Getting an email from Sunny was unusual since we normally chat as our preferred method of communications.

Sunny and I have been chatting for three years or so now. She is a Chinese student who is now finishing up her Master’s degree at Clemson University. We started out like several others with Sunny wanting to practice her English with a native speaker.

Sunny asked me to review her biography that she had to submit for a job application. I reviewed another paper for Sunny when she was applying to get a student visa to study here. Sunny is a very good writer for someone who is not a native English speaker. She actually writes better than some of my students in one of my advanced writing classes.

Fascinating.

I hope she lands the job.

Teaching
The first week of school ended for me on Thursday night.

For the most part, I think that I will have a good group of classes. Most of my classes are smaller than the ones I had last quarter. Three of my classes have less than twelve students. I am not happy having a Tuesday night class that ends at 10:20 PM and then I have a Wednesday morning class that starts at 8:00 AM.

I spent a good part of today building my online electronic grade books. It takes about an hour or more to create one, depending on how many grading factors there are for the course.

My Friend Sharon
My friend Sharon phoned me on Friday. It was one of her usual “I’m on my way home so I’ll call Chuck” phone calls. Sharon called me on the first half of her drive because the call cut out when she went through the dead zones.

Sharon was talking to me about a new promotion her bank was going to launch. I think she failed to consider some interest on the account and IRS reporting requirements. We had a long discussion about what factors ought to go into the breakeven analysis. The bank is going ahead with the promotion without a breakeven analysis or possible cost analysis. I would have thought that her bank would have done that analysis.

Then, Sharon wanted me to remember the name of a bank that she almost applied at. This was from a year or so ago. I told her that I would search around and see if I could find the name of the bank. I found the name in about twenty minutes and sent her an email with it.

I wonder how long it will take Sharon to thank me.

Visitors
I don’t have a visitor count for last week since Sitemeter.com is changing servers over the weekend. I hope to be able to have some statistics during the week. One of the consequences of the change may be a more accurate and lower volume traffic count.

The Frozen Yogurt and Ice Cream Store
The yogurt store will have its grand opening on the 19th. My friend sent me an email with the announcement. She is having a grand opening special of half off on all yogurt treats. You know that I am not a yogurt eater or fan so I will stop by her store on the 24th after my morning class.

I was Nice Guy Chuck. I sent my friend some red M&Ms that say “Good Luck” on them. I know she loves chocolate. The candy should be delivered the day before I stop by for a visit.

If she throws some yogurt at me I will know that the candy was not a very good idea.

Going to the Theater
I went to the La Mirada Theater on Saturday night for the first time in about a year at La Mirada or at Pasadena for that matter. I didn’t have much interest in the theater while I was going through chemotherapy.

The play was a musical comedy that was based on a real person’s life story. Florence Foster Jenkins could not sing and yet she used her inherited family money to sponsor concerts. Her final accomplishment was a concert at Carnegie Hall in New York City. She died about a month after the Carnegie Hall concert.

At times, I laughed and, at other times, I felt I was watching a train wreck unfold before my eyes.

Weekend Update
I went to Doug’s favorite Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf by my flat on Saturday for a large ice blended drink. I had to repeat my order three times; twice to the clerk and once to the barista. This was time well spend because she did an excellent job on the drink.


That was my weekend. I hope you had a great weekend also.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home