Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Minor Catastrophes and Other Events in My Life

Minor Catastrophes and Other Events in My Life
I had a minor catastrophe happen to me over the weekend.

My Palm PDA, a Z22 model, failed. It just plain and simple died on me for no apparent reason. Thanks to the brilliant design work by Palm, I cannot open the case to see if it is a simple repair or not. The Z22 was a little over a year old.

I lost all of my address information except for some old backups that are paper based. Those will not be much help for me. I will have to collect the addresses again and place them in Outlook. Outlook can be backed up and exported to offline disks and drives.

I just do not want to go through that effort again. I would rather sleep in the sun instead.

The Z22 was made in China; not a surprise by any measure.

But, I am developing a feeling that Chinese quality control is something of a joke or a suggestion.

Failure after a little over a year of use that consisted of sitting on my desk is really poor. The Z22 replaced my fourteen year old Handspring Visor that survived much harder use including being tossed about in suitcases by airline baggage handlers. I had to replace it because the Visor was not compatible with Windows Vista and Palm had no intention of writing a software upgrade.

After transferring my address data, the Visor went off the old electronics recycling center and its final reward.

Then, I purchased a scale at Walmart after the surgery in 2007 that was made in China to “an American company’s exacting standards.” It consistently registers me as being four pounds lighter than the scale at Dr. Karen’s clinic.

I guess that I can kiss “exacting American standards” apparently good bye.

So much for quality control and this doesn’t even begin to take into consideration what happened to the baby formula and the shoddy school construction in southern China that lead to the deaths of thousands of children.

This is now the eighth week of the school term; only three more weeks to go. Week eleven is for final exams and project presentations so I don’t have to prepare any lecture notes for those classes.

Next week, I ought to get a hint at my schedule for the coming term. I hope to be teaching four or five classes. I should be teaching at least one writing class and that will make me happy. I think I am developing a reputation at school of being a very good instructor and one who will work with his students to help them succeed.

This was not a bad start of the week for me; all things considered.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home