Sunday, March 01, 2009

Douguary 2009

Douguary 2009
Last night, Doug and I celebrated Douguary 2009 at Wolfgang’s Steakhouse in Beverly Hills. It was the traditional end of Douguary Dinner.

Doug had picked Wolfgang’s Steakhouse, instead of our traditional venue Morton’s Steakhouse, because it is reported to be a knock of Peter Lugar, a great steakhouse in Brooklyn, New York. The restaurant was created by Wolfgang Zwiener, formerly head waiter at Peter Lugar.

Wolfgang’s big signature aspect is they literally burn the meat on the grill; it is fired at 1,600F or 870C. Either way you look at the charred meat on your plate, you know it has been well cooked.

Personally, that was a bit too much heat on my steak. My steak was supposed to have a little pink on the inside. The inside of the steak was varying shades of grey.

Wolfgang’s has a very interesting chopped salad that Doug and I both enjoyed. We shared a side dish of German potatos; sliced potatos that were grilled with onions. I thought they were over salted and peppered. Doug thought they tasted just fine.

Doug had a New York Sirloin Steak and I had a Filet Mignon, primarily because it was a smaller cut of meat. I don’t eat as much or like I used to before the operation and the cancer. Aside from the charring, my steak was fine. Doug liked his steak.

The one really bad feature about Wolfgang’s is that it is located in Beverly Hills which is not freeway close to anywhere. The traffic and the parking are horrible. It takes longer to go to Beverly Hills than it does to get to the Morton’s in Santa Ana even though Santa Ana is a much longer drive. Morton’s also has acres of free parking

Wolfgang’s is an expensive restaurant. You get a very high quality meal and very attentive, impeccable service.

Doug and I would highly recommend Wolfgang’s if you were in the area or wanted to take a break from Morton’s or Ruth Chris.

Paulina Garces
I tuned in today to see if I could catch Paulina Garces doing one of her infomercials. I did see her on two programs. Unfortunately for me, they were repeats of the programs that I saw last weekend. I decided to put up some more photos for Ms Garces’ web site. I know some of the reader or viewers will enjoy this.




Teaching
I spent a good part of the weekend grading final examinations and trying to make sense out of some of my students’ course projects. It was a struggle. It was not how I wanted to spend my weekend.

This term is shaping up to be one of my worst in terms of student success; that is, how many students pass my classes. Right now, I have three students who will fail at least one of my classes. They will fail for the same common reason; they did not complete all of the course work.

I may have some students to add to that number on Monday night when that class has its final meeting.

Students must complete all of the course work to pass the course. That sounds so logical and reasonable to me. But, then, I am the instructor after all.

I am thinking about offering a writing tutoring program in the next term for those students who feel they could benefit from additional one on one help in a non-graded environment. I could probably name two dozen students or more who could benefit from such a program. I need to talk to my department chair tomorrow to see if I will have any difficulties with this idea.

The Princess
The Princess returned my phone call, from earlier today, this evening. I had called to see if she had made up her mind where she wanted to go for her birthday dinner. Her cousin Jessie had suggested another venue.

I was noncommittal about the dinner venue because it is not my birthday.

We have traditionally gone to Morton’s when she lived in Atlanta. This was the start of the practice. I explained to her that since I was flying across the country, not an inexpensive journey, and I was taking her roommates with bottomless pits for stomach out to dinner, going to Morton’s was not unreasonable.

The Princess actually looks forward for her once a year dinner at Morton’s. She does love the Morton’s salads and the jumbo lump crab cakes and, of course, the Morton’s Chocolate Cake with Godiva Chocolate Sauce and vanilla ice cream.

The Princess will need to make her mind up very soon since dinner is Saturday and we will be a group of seven. Reservations may be tricky.

I left it with her to make the decision and tell me when I get to Seattle next Saturday morning.

Surprises can be fun.

Asian Television Dramas
The two Japanese dramas that I have been watching had the viewing time changed to the afternoon. At first, I thought this was a fundamentally bad idea. I watched the programs over the weekend in the afternoon and it seems to be a good idea. They have a longer time slot, ninety minutes instead of an hour.

Obviously, I will miss both of the programs because of the Seattle trip. Doug said I should just record the programs and watch them when I come home. I could do as he suggested but the programs take a long time to develop so I ought to be able to catch up on the following weekend.

I stumbled onto a new Korean language historical drama tonight. It seems to be set in the same period as the other historical dramas I have already seen. I am coming in at Episode 7 so I missed all of the required explanation of characters and their motivation. One thing nice about watching these programs is that I get to see some of the same actors over and over again. Some of the acting borders on being just short of over the top. The new program is called The Iron Empress.


All in all, I had a very good weekend. I hope your weekend was great as well.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home