Sunday, February 22, 2009

Fooling Around withTechnology

Fooling Around with Technology
I was fooling around with technology over the weekend. I hadn’t planned to spend part of my weekend fooling around with technology.

I did anyway.

I went to Best Buy to cash in some frequent spender points, mostly for the purchase of the flat screen television last year. I picked up some relatively inexpensive speakers and hooked them up to the laptop’s docking station.

Now, I can hear what is going on.

Whether that is a good idea remains to be proven. Currently, I am listening to Amazing Grace CD by the Pipes and Drums of the 48th Highlanders. Interestingly or not as the case may be, the 48th Highlanders are a Canadian regiment, having been formed in 1891.

If I really wanted to get moody, I would be sipping some single malt Scots whiskey.

Not being or feeling moody, I will just drink my Arizona Tea Company’s Arnold Palmer drink instead. I like the taste and it is healthy for me since it made with green tea. I suppose that a nutritionist might argue that the corn syrup in the drink was not all that healthy for me.

I also picked up my copy of Turbo Tax 2008 so I could complete my state and federal income tax returns. Something for me to do during the week long break between terms.

Paulina Garces
Paulina Garces is my favorite used car television infomercial host. I have written about how much I enjoy watching the program even though I can only pick up a word or two since the hostesses tend to speak Spanish much faster than I can comprehend it.

I never knew her name until today when I was channel surfing this afternoon as I am prone to do since there is no American football on television until the Fall. I figuratively stumbled across Pauline Garces doing an infomercial for a Direct TV reseller; but, I could be wrong.




What caught my attention was the first image of her was a full length shot. I think it is called a full length shot; Doug would tell me if he or his friend Robin were here. Pauline was wearing a pencil skirt that ended up below her knees and a long sleeved blouse that was buttoned up.

Wowie kazowie.

The infomercial went on and flashed her name with her image.

Excellent.

I went to her web site, http://www.paulinagarces.com and downloaded a few images of her. If you feel you need more, you can go there on your own. You can also check out some videos clips if you have the time.

I didn’t have the time because I had a corporate balance sheet to analyze so I could help one of my former students who is in another finance course.

More Technology Dinking
I have been running IE8 RC1 for a couple of weeks now and frankly, I really like it. It loads pages much faster than IE7 and seems to be more stable even if this version is the RC1.

So far, I have only found one flaw and it borders on insignificant. The icons in my Favorite’s List page are continually being mixed up. For example, the Area Code website that I use from time to time now is sporting the logo of Western Digital, the manufacturer of my external disk drive.

I find this to be slightly annoying. I have gotten into the habit of searching my Favorite’s page by the icon, assuming the site has an icon that IE will recognize. I hope this will get fixed when the final version comes out.

Visitors
Traffic at the blog improved last week.

We had 323 visitors which was a dramatic surge from the recent prior weeks. Yesterday, we had 127 visitors to the blog. I have noticed a significant uptick in visitors from Europe as well.

One of the most significant factoids is that the visitors are falling back into their old patterns of going to the pages that feature the models. This is hardly earth shattering news to anyone who has followed the log over the years.

I do appreciate all of you who stop by the blog.

Teaching
Well, it is now Week 11[end of term week] and I still do not have a teaching schedule for the next term. I would like to be able to plan ahead a bit. I have a weekend trip to Salt Lake City in April to plan for example.

I have been told by some of my current and former students that I have been listed on their student schedules as their instructor for one of their classes. So far, I have been told that I will be teaching Composition II and Consumer Behavior, two classes that I have taught before and one new class, Group Dynamics.

Three classes are nice since this coming term is usually the lowest in terms of student enrollment. Having typed that, I would really prefer to teach four or five courses.

Last night, I counted up how many courses that I have taught at school since I started in 2006. I was surprised to see that I have taught 22 different courses at the school. I did not realize that I was that versatile.


That was my weekend gentle readers.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home