Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Middle of the Week Break

Middle of the Week Break
Here it is Wednesday and the week is almost half gone.

Perfectomundo.

I do have a class tomorrow night to teach. It is a small class of only four students, most of who have been in my classes before. That plus there are only two weeks left in the term and Week 11, the last class session, is only for a final exam and course project presentations.

Speaking or rather typing about school, one department chair mentioned to me that I may be scheduled to teach a class on group dynamics for a section of her students. It would be a medium sized course of thirteen students. If this comes to pass, it should be interesting because it is unlikely that I have had any of the potential students in one of my classes before and it will be the first time that I have taught the class before.

Teaching classes for the first time is nothing new for me. Three of my five courses this term were new to me.

One of the other instructors and I were talking yesterday about teaching assignments for the next term. The other instructor said he thought I would be teaching a lot of courses because there is a lack of instructors who can cover a wide range of subjects. He also speculated that I would get the call to teach because the academic administration doesn’t have any problems with me.

I come to school regularly and start and end classes on time. I get good evaluations from my students and from the department chairs. I don’t whine or complain or argue about the class assignments. I am flexible and cooperative.

Using a baseball analogy, my friend compared me to a long reliever. I come in and put out the fire. The administration knows that I will deliver a quality product on time, every time.

I have already had about a dozen current and former students asking me what classes I will be teaching next term. I guess they want to be in one of my classes if they have the chance.

On Monday night, I had three former students come into my classroom because they missed being in my class and wanted to talk to me. They also said they hated their current instructor.

That made all of the dull and boring hours spent on preparation and research and reading and grading their papers all seems very worthwhile for me.


I had my CT scan on Monday morning.

I survived the experience. For the most part, it was not as bad as the first time. The hospital had a new flavoring in the dye liquid that I had to swallow. It still tasted unpleasant but I did not gag on it like I did the first time.

I do like the scan because it is quicker than an MRI scan. The CT scan was over in about three minutes while the last MRI took close to twenty minutes. Best of all, you get to stay much warmer because the CT scan doesn’t require heavy duty air conditioning to operate the equipment and freeze the patients.

I will get the results of the CT scan on Friday when I see Dr. Karen


I stopped by Gloria’s ice cream and frozen yogurt store on my way home from school this afternoon. Gloria wasn’t working so I only had a single scoop of chocolate ice cream. I did add some chocolate and caramel sauces to the ice cream. I ate in silence and that was fine with me.


The holiday weekend is shaping up to be one where I will stay inside. The tentative forecast is projecting rain, starting tomorrow night and that will make the drive home from school less than fun, and continuing on into Monday.

I can get caught on all of my teaching administrative work. I can also do some laundry and a little cleaning around the flat. I am go see the movie CORALINE over the weekend.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home