Friday, March 06, 2009

Dr. Karen and Me

Dr. Karen and Me
I went to see Dr. Karen and her support team of nurses today. It was my regular, once every three weeks visit to the Oncology Clinic.

Dr. Karen said that all of my regular tests from yesterday were fine. The harpooners who draw the blood samples do excellent work; there is hardly any pain. I think they are better than the Red Cross nurses who used to draw my blood back when I participated in the blood donation program.

I asked my usual set of questions. I write them down in advance so I don’t forget. I am getting old.

My current treatment plan is to stay on the Xeloda maintenance program for as long as I can tolerate the medication. Since I have not had any adverse reactions to the Xeloda, it looks like I will be taking it for the rest of my life. I’m not sure if I like that result; I just do not enjoy or even look forward to taking the seven Xeloda pills a day during the treatment period.

Our, that would be Doug and me, biggest concern was who was I going to be seeing when Dr. Karen leaves in May or June. Dr. Karen said that she wasn’t going anywhere for while until 2010 when she finishes up her fellowship. I guess Doug and I had misunderstood her.

Perfectomundo.

I also asked some of the nurses if I should keep and shave off my moustache. Nurse Wendy was non-committal while Nurse Vruna said emphatically that it should stay. Vruna said it looked very handsome. I forgot to ask Dr. Karen.

Today was a really good day for me. I will post more when I get back from the Seattle trip.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home