Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Turning in Grade Books

Turning in Grade Books
I went to school today to complete and post or turn in my course grade books for the just ended term. I have a new department chair and he has his own way to turn in the grade books; he wants about five extra reports that I can generate from the online grade program.

The task is not particularly difficult or mentally challenging. It is simply gathering the reports and then assembling them in a logical order. I was pleased when he said mine were all perfect.

I only had three students fail my classes this term. One student did none of the assignments; my chair said she deserved to fail. I said that the student came from his department. He said she still deserved to fail. Another student from my chair’s department failed. I am giving him extra time to make up the missing work because I think he has some serious medical issues that may have contributed to his inability to complete all of the coursework. The third student, I believe, is having some serious personal family problems outside of school that affected his ability to complete the work. I will give him extra time also.

I picked up the one new course book for the coming term. It is for my Group Dynamics class. It is only about 360 pages long and has only thirteen chapters so my lecture note taking will be fairly easy to complete.

While I was at school, I talked to my chair about the idea of me conducting a student writing clinic – workshop. I know from past experience that most of my students will benefit from extra writing help. This would be as close to a remedial program as the school would want to get. I need to put together some sort of a plan or program outline. I think it will do well but I hope not so well where I have more students than I can properly coach.

Visitors for February
The blog had 1,193 visitors in February. I know that number seems low. But, you have to remember that the daily visitor traffic dropped off to six or seven a day in February and now it is back up in the 75 to 80 visitors a day range.

The majority of the traffic is now coming from outside of the United States. When I checked the visitor traffic during the week, it was about 65% from overseas.

I do appreciate all of you who take time out of your day and visit the blog.

Teaching
I picked up a tentative roster for my classes for the next term today. It looks like I will have a total of 80 to 85 students in my four classes. My smallest class is scheduled for twelve students and my largest class is scheduled for thirty students.

That is a nice grouping I think.

Of course, changes can and will occur up into the third week of the term. I don’t like the idea of a student joining the course in the third week; they have missed 20%of the course and it takes them forever to get caught up. Unfortunately, I do not have any control over additions to my classes.

Miscellaneous Thoughts
I was thinking, always a dangerous concept for me, on my way home from school that if I continue to post Paulina Garces photos at the rate of three a week that I will be out of images of her to post in another three or four weeks.

[Note to self] Reduce the Paulina Garces photo postings.

Doug and I will try a new hamburger place, The Counter Burger, tomorrow. It has come to us very highly recommended.

Programming Note
Since I will be on my way home from Seattle at the time when I write my usual end of the weekend blog entry on Sunday, my end of the weekend entry will probably post on Tuesday. Monday is the start of the new term and things will be heretic at school. I also have a Monday night class.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home