Sunday, March 06, 2005

No rain today

It was so nice to wake up this morning and see the sun for a change instead of more rain.

The weather is Southern California like today with the temperature about 70F or 20C. There was a light breeze coming off of the Pacific Ocean as I sat on my balcony and read while I smoked a St Valentines Day cigar.

The cigar was pretty good. It had a robusto [dark tobacco] wrapper. That style of wrapper makes for a stronger tasting smoke than what I usually prefer. I prefer the natural style of wrapper. Wrapper, for those of you who do not smoke cigars, is the outer layer of tobacco.

I suppose I should be "mad as hell" because my cable television box failed me on Thursday night. I finally got a hold of customer service at the provider. The representative was not that helpful but did arrange a scheduled service call by a technician for Wednesday afternoon. The bottom line result is I will be without television for about a week.

I certainly hope I get a credit on my next bill for the week of no service.

Granted, I missed or will miss a couple of shows that I enjoy but life happens and that explains why there are reruns.

On the big plus side, I will miss out on all of the last minute television commercial for the candidates for mayor of the City of Los Angeles. None of the candidates seems to be able to take a higher moral ground approach. They have, true to tradition, resorted to name calling, distortions, and general mud slinging that are hallmarks of American politics.

The Big Guy called this afternoon. He is crewing in a student film for one of his friends. He was early for the crew call so he walked across the street from the location site to a Starbucks. He was slipping some double-triple-mocha-iced-grande caramel thing while listening to Bob Dylan as he sat at one of the outside tables.

Life in Southern California is good to today.

I would have gone to the location. The director put out a call for extras. I asked The Big Guy where the location is. He said "Ummmm...Dad, you're too old, we need extras my age...the location site is supposed to be a rock band concert venue."

Life can also be harsh.

I was checking my email on Friday night; naturally, because there was no television. Friday was a day for me to buried under requests to authorize ICQ contacts and notices that I was added to others contact lists. I think there were 15 or so requests.

I never knew I was so interesting. Anyway, one was from a young Chinese woman. She had added me to her contact list. She came online while I was deleting all of the spam in my inbox.
I sent her a hello and we ended up chatting for an hour. It was a very nice way to spend an hour for me. It remains to be seen if we chat again.

The Girl Friend was over last night for dinner. I prepared some pasta shells and stuffed them with ricotta cheese that I had added some oregano, basil, sage, thyme, and cilantro too. I topped the shells with an alfredo sauce with shrimp and lobster. It turned out very, very well. We drank our favorite Sauvigon Blanc wine from Sterling vineyards. Sterling is located in Napa Valley, California. The wine was a 2003 and really went very well with our meal.

I picked up our desserts from my favorite Italian deli, Giuliano's, that I have been going to since about 1980. I could tell The Girl Friend liked her CreamHorn because she ended up eating it with her fingers and she is usually much more proper than this. But, since we were alone, I suppose she felt she could relax with just me there.

For the record, I ate my Oreo cake with a fork.

We finished off dinner with after dinner drinks. The Girl Friend had an Amaretto over ice and I had a shot of the St Valentines Day single malt Scotch whiskey. I drank some Amberlour straight up and it was very nice. I will add this whisky to the list of single malt Scotch whiskies I carry around in my head for when I go out to fine restaurants. This was a very good end to an excellent meal.

This is also a good way to end this blog gentle readers. I need to go off and catch up on my emails so I can read with a very clear conscience tonight.

Be well and stay happy.

I made the meal from scratch. I had no recipes to work from, just an idea of what might work well together. It looks like my idea turned out just fine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home