Tuesday, March 01, 2005

no subject line

Hey, it was a slowish day. I don't have to come up with a catchy subject matter or topic line everyday now. Some days, I need to give the brain cells a break.

The Girl Friend gave me a book for St Valentines Day; I think I already told you that. Anyway, the book is titled "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell." She said it had great reviews and that the book was about magicians and fairies in England.

This is a reading test for me. My tastes in books tend towards two extremes. One is military history and a related area of historical fiction. The other is science fiction. This makes me a Jack Aubrey, James T. Kirk, or Han Solo kind of reader. You know, "put a shot across their bow and see what develops" type of reader.

With any luck, I will finish the book by Spring. It has 782 pages with a handful of not very good drawings. Hopefully, by then, one of my more favorite authors will have something for me to read and I can indulge myself. I will drop a hint or two with The Girl Friend around my birthday time so she can go book shopping for something.

Birthday shopping for her will be simple. I just make a semi-short drive to the O.C. Tiffany's and pick up a bangle. My daughter says every woman loves gifts from Tiffany's and that I should immediately dump any woman who doesn't like Tiffany's and then run like hell for the hills.

The Princess has a point here.

The bangle only comes in one size. Silver bangles only come in one color. There are no batteries or moving parts to break and, of course, there is no assembly required. So what's not to like about the idea of a bangle. It's a perfect gift from the guy who is either clueless or wants to make a killer emotional statement to his friend who is a woman.

We had no rain anywhere that I was today. That makes about five days in a row with no rain in my parts of Los Angeles. Maybe this is the end of the rain or maybe it is only the lull before the storm.

Even though we have received the heaviest rainfall in over a hundred years, we will still suffer from the affects of a five year drought. It will take at least one or possibly two more years of rain like this to erase the drought. That is a sobering thought and one of the prices one pays to live in Southern California.

Southern California is actually a semi-desert region naturally. If we did not import water, no one would want to live here and San Francisco would be the biggest city on the West Coast.

Scary thoughts there Chuck.

And now, gentle readers, I must turn my writing talents, such as they are, back towards my dissertation.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home