Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Breakfast seminar

Hello gentle readers. This is another short posting tonight.

I went to my breakfast presentation this morning. I snagged an extra two hours in the bag, the extra sleep was epic. It was even better that it only took me seven minutes to drive to the presentation venue.

Breakfast was buffet style. We had scrambled eggs, bacon, overcooked sausages, hash brown potatos, pastries, fruit juices, tea or coffee. I was not shy at the buffet. I had a good healthy breakfast.

I had my seat and was finished with breakfast as the late arrivals came in. I was totally surprised when my boss’ boss, the Vice Chairman, showed up at the meeting. We both said the same, “I didn’t know you were going to be here.”

That killed any chance of dozing off during the presentation.

On the plus side, I got the presenter to agree to provide me with information as a subject matter expert in his field. This will help make my dissertation that much better because, while he may not have published any scholarly papers, he is a world class expert on the subject.

As Vice Chairman and I were riding the elevator down from the meeting room, we asked me to join him for coffee. We talked for about an hour and fifteen minutes or so. He went over the big reorganization that I knew would happen. I don’t think there are too many changes that will affect me. I have a new reporting relationship but that was expected. Then, he asked me a couple of questions I wished I could have ducked but there was no place for me to hide so I answered them as diplomatically as possible.

I found out later on this afternoon that the Vice Chairman and my immediate boss will be in our office tomorrow morning. Next week, my immediate boss and the new Chief Operating Officer are going to visit the office.

When I finally made it into work this afternoon, I had one voice message on my machine. It was from one of my peers. He left a brief message of “analysis and comments.” I knew that he was referring to the reorganization so I called him and we discussed the changes. I think there are more changes in the wind.

Anyway and moving onward.

Today was Day 18 in the building next door non-deconstruction work. I didn’t see the security officer at all today. But then, I was out of the office for half of the day.

The Big Guy called me to tell me the Wong Kar Wai film 2046 will be playing in Irvine this weekend. I had thought I would have to drive to Santa Monica to see it on the weekend. Parking at the theater in Santa Monica is always crummy unlike the theater in Irvine. We may hook up for another meal on Saturday or Sunday.

When I was in college, I joined the local chapter of the Phi Delta Theta fraternity. One of the alums called me tonight after dinner. Tristan was looking for money for the chapter; that is the usual case. I said I would kick in some money. Tristan asked how the Princess was since they had gone out during her freshman year at university. Yes, we both went to the same school.

I told Tristan the Princess was happy and enjoying life in Atlanta. Surprisingly, he asked to be remembered to her. I somehow do not recall that would be something that she would take favorably.

Still, it will be well worth the phone call to the Princess in the morning. I can almost hear her say, “Ohmygod Daddy, Tristan said that!”

Life can be fun at times.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home