Monday, August 01, 2005

Weekend Update

It was a long and sometimes tiring weekend for me gentle readers.

I went to Seattle for my niece’s wedding along with the Princess and the Big Guy. The Princess flew there from Atlanta and the Big Guy flew there with me. Since the wedding was Sunday afternoon, we flew in on Saturday morning.

Our flights to Seattle were fine.

The Princess’ flight arrived a half hour early and her bag was spinning around on the baggage carousel when she got there from walking through the terminal. Add to that, no bad weather and you have a near perfect flight. The Princess was also prepared with her DVD player and U2 iPOD.

Our flight was on time and that is good generally.

The Princess was hanging out with my brother and some of the bride’s relatives when we arrived at the hotel. They seemed to be having fun together.

Since we hadn’t eaten all day, the Big Guy and I wanted to grab some lunch. Everyone else joined us to keep the conversation going along. It was probably be a good idea to eat since the planned bar-be-que from the groom’s parents did not materialize as advertised. The grill was never fired up and all we had to eat were cold, finger foods and drinks.

It was sort of odd at the bar-be-que. The weather was one of those “it only is sunny like this once in a blue moon days” in Seattle. The temperature was around 82F/28C and the sky was cloudless. The Seattle people [groom] were inside for the most part while the California people [bride] were all out in the sun, soaking up some rays and improving our tans. I thought that was odd; why not go outside and enjoy the infrequent sun?

While I was at the bear-be-que, I noticed that just everyone in Seattle wears Teva brand sandals. Personally, they leave me cold as ice. I couldn’t see myself in a pair of them ever. I think I will stick with my current casual shoe wear, Lakai skateboard shoes.

For the record, I have not skateboarded in years. When I did, it was in the prehistory time of skateboarding when a skateboard was made from a 2”x4” board and roller skates parts. It was noisy, hard to steer, and prone to breaking. When you are 10 or 12, you will accept those imperfections in products, especially if you made the skateboard.

My Lakai shoes are really comfortable and that is why I wear them. The Big Guy helped me pick them out at Laguna Surf and Ski in Mission Viejo on Saturday a couple of years ago.

I noticed that people in Seattle do not seem to have tans or try to have tans. I am not dark by any measure but I looked that way compared to the some of the people at the bar-be-que.

Since I am looking for a new female companion, I had briefly thought about the WEDDING CRASHERS. Then, common sense came to the front and I remembered that it was a two plus hour flight to Seattle and that a lot of the women in Seattle clearly favored the Scarlet O’Hara look of pale, pale skin. I decided to focus on women in Southern California then.

The three of us came back to the hotel and agreed to go out around 7:00 PM for a dinner. The Princess called us just before we were ready to leave our room. She had forgotten something and had to find a replacement so she could wear the perfect outfit, a black halter style dress with blue flowers on it. You really have to have seen her in it to appreciate it. It was a very nice dress.

Fortunately for us, there was a Target and Mervyns store in a mall about ten minutes from the hotel. We drove over and the Princess hopped out at Target. The Big Guy was raving about a Jamba Juice store [blended fresh fruit drinks] that he had to see. Dad, as usual, drove the car.

While I was out circling in the car park, I discovered a restaurant where we could have our dinner. It was also next door to a gourmet ice cream.

Perfect.

The Big Guy got his fruit smoothie drink; the Princess got whatever she needed; and then, we had dinner. Dinner was followed by a trip to the ice cream store. I had two scoops of chocolate and coffee ice cream mixed together; the Princess had a peanut butter dessert, and the Big Guy had an empty waffle cone, he likes the cones a bit more than he likes ice cream. Our meal was good and our dessert was better.

I slept very well after a large dinner. The kids did as well.

The Princess and I had breakfast with the Younger Brother. The Big Guy opted to sleep a bit more I guess.

We needed to get to the ceremony early because the bride insisted that the Princess join her in the bride’s room before hand. For what, I have no idea. The Big Guy and I just hung around outside and killed time.

The wedding was at 11:00 AM at a golf club in Newcastle, a Seattle suburb. The golf club is up in the hills so we had a perfect day to see the area. I am guessing that visibility was probably 50 miles/75km or more. It was warm with a light breeze. There were no clouds in the sky at all.

The wedding service was warm, friendly, and short, always a very big plus. I think it was one of the nicest weddings I have been to in a long while. It was the type of wedding that I would like the see Princess have when she decides to settle down and marry.

One of the truly intriguing touches at the wedding was the lunch seating assignments. Instead of using numbers, the bride and groom picked movie titles, mostly independents. I thought that was a great touch. The groom’s fraternity brothers were at ANIMAL HOUSE. The Princess and the Big Guy were at THE BREAKFAST CLUB where everyone had a connection to Orange County and California State University Fullerton.

I sat with the bride’s parents at THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS. I asked why that film. The Younger Brother said it was because we are a family of characters. I wonder which character I am now.

We did get involved with the formal wedding photos. This was not our idea. We got sucked into the “extended family group” photo. I think that was going one to many photos down the road. By the time this photo was shot, the bride and groom were tired of smiling. The Niece said she had a smile pasted on her face. I can imagine how uncomfortable they must have been in the bright sun in their wedding outfits while the rest of us could wait in the shade or inside in the air conditioned comfort.

During the photo opportunities, I phoned the old girl friend to see how the play was. There was nothing going on except snacking on hors devourers and sipping lemonade or tea. I don’t think anyone was offended and I was not alone with the cell phone crowd reaching out to maintain contact with others. I gave her tickets for the play because it was on Saturday and I was in Seattle then. I know she loves the theater and the play was the day after her birthday, sort of a birthday double play. She went with another mutual friend of ours.

The old girl friend said the play, a musical, was very lively and fast paced. It was very entertaining. She mentioned the next play is going to be a one woman performance based on the career of Katherine Hepburn. I asked her if she would like to go with me and she said yes.

She was in her car when I caught up with her. She asked me to call her when I get back to Los Angeles so I can give her the kids’ addresses.

I will call her tomorrow when I have gone into the office and discovered what happened at work. Our company is going through some changes so it is always interesting to see how the week will develop.

I will finish up with my trip to Seattle tomorrow gentle readers. I would also recommend you checkout the Big Guy’s blog at http://skeetonmischa.blogspot.com. I know he will have his own unique spin to the wedding.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home