Monday, August 08, 2005

Crimes Against Humanity

The Big Guy and I were shocked, shocked I say, at the thought that the DUKES OF HAZARD would finish up in the top spot in the weekend’s domestic box office grosses. We found this film so offensive that we went right along with all of the major critics who considered this to be one of the worst films of 2005 and stayed home.

My local multi-plex had the film showing on a smaller screen while WEDDING CRASHERS played on the two biggest venues. What we the people thinking? Obviously not very much it seems.

Oh well, I am over it now.

I think it may take the Big Guy longer to get over the film. Being a film studies major in university, he knows what great cinema is and this film was an affront to serious film making.

It was not even a good Summer film. SCREAM and I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER are good Summer entertainment films.

Moving onward now gentle readers.

It was Day 16 in the non-deconstruction work at the building next door. Nothing happened to day as usual.

The hallway on the 10th floor where my office is located has been under repair for what seems like forever. It has been a very good six months at least. I thought things would be finished by now. The hallway was re-carpeted about a month ago. The job is still incomplete. The carpet layers ran out of trim molding that runs along the base board. That was a month ago.

Why haven’t they ordered more trim and finished the jobs?

It would be nice if they finished their jobs. I am tired of seeing old paint cans sitting by the freight elevator doors. I am tired of seeing the painting errors that we used to call “holidays” in the Navy.

I think I had arrived with the company and the trade vendors. I got an invitation to a fancy conference in Orlando, Florida for this Fall. There is no chance that I could get my bosses to sign off on the conference. Still, it was nice to see that the announcement arrived at the office with my name printed on the envelope like any other invitee. Conference organizers have recognized me.

On the subject of recognition, I had two phone messages when I arrived in the office at 6:50 AM today. This is very abnormal for me. I know before about 8:30 AM is unusual for anyone on the West Coast to call. As it turns out, one call was from the Atlanta Office and the other was from a customer in Denver. Still, it is nice to have someone call you and find out they are not mad at you for something I may or may not have done.

Clearly, my day was not as exciting as my weekend. It never is gentle readers.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home