Sunday, August 14, 2005

Weekend Update

Hello gentle readers.

I hope you had a relaxing and restful weekend like I did. Granted, running errands on the weekend may not be your idea of fun or rest but it is to me.

My drive home on Friday from the office was better than usual for a change. I don’t know why but traffic was either lighter in volume or else everyone was paying attention to the task at hand, driving on a crowded roadway and not talking on a cell phone.

That was a nice start.

After I left the highway and jumped to the regular streets, I had to stop to let a young woman cross the street. I wish now that I could have avoided it but the law required me to stop and yield the street to her. She was wearing one of those big tie dyed skirts from the later 1960s and other clothes from that era.

Far be it from me to be a critic of women’s fashions.

She had some nasty tats on each leg that ran from her ankles up and disappeared under her skirt. I had no desire to see anymore, the lower legs were enough for me. I think I could have taken some sort of a tat if it had a design or colors in it. These tats were a sort of a grey green color. The design looked liked script of some sort. I did not slow down to gather a close look; I just wanted to be away, far away from her.

Maybe she was from Seattle where body art [tats] are generally accepted by all.

The Old Girl Friend called me early, well early for her, on Saturday morning. She wanted the addresses for the Princess and the Big Guy and me. Then, she talked about how she loves what she does at work but hates some of the people she has to work with. After listening to her, I would tend agree.

It is, after all, difficult to follow a leader who has managed to go over her budget by 200% by July. I would love to be a gnat on the wall during that budget review. The explanations are probably going to Pulitzer Prize winners in the general fiction category.

The Old Girl Friend wanted to know why we didn’t go to the cinema last weekend as we discussed. I reminded her that she was going to call me and let me know if she was available. She said I was supposed to call her and remind because she has so many things going on at the same.

I suppose a Palm Pilot is out of the question. They are great scheduling and planning tools.

I will call her on Tuesday after I meet with my new big boss. I will toss out the idea of what films we might see next weekend.

On the subject of films to see, the Big Guy said at lunch today that his new best film of the year is the new Bill Murray film BROKEN FLOWERS. We did not talk about the plot points or the acting because he said he didn’t want to spoil it for me. I will accept his statement that is the best film he has seen all year. I think it might be a good film to see with the Old Girl Friend.

Either BROKEN FLOWERS or the Wong Kar Wai film 2046. They both seem to be suitable to take a woman to see. THE DEVIL’S REJECTS is clearly a guy film unless she is one remarkable woman.

The Old Girl Friend is a woman that I care about and have always cared about. I think she is very remarkable but she is not ready for THE DEVIL’S REJECTS.

I did go visit my local cell phone vendor and played let’s make a deal for me about extending my service contracts. They were willing to deal so I ended up with two new Samsung camera phones with a net cost to me $30 each. The user manual is over 160 pages long so it will be a while before I figure out all of the features. I know I won’t be using some of them like the calendar since I have a Handspring Visor PDA to do my scheduling and calendar work on.

On Saturday, I did go see the Big Guy’s former best film of the year, THE ISLAND. It is one of the best action films of the year. There are not many directors who are better than Michael Bay in an action film.

I thought THE ISLAND was a film of two parts. The first part reminded me of GATTACA and the second part reminded me of LOGAN’S RUN. I will go along with the Big Guy about this being a very good film. The pacing of the two parts make it seem like there are two films. You can’t compare injecting fluids into a tube with railroad wheels being cast loose from an 18 wheeler running at high speed.

You could tell that the film was set far in the future and that is a work of fiction. In one scene, the Los Angeles Police Department, in three black and white cruisers, arrive at a crowded downtown Los Angeles location within seconds of a stolen credit card being used access an information kiosk. That’s fantastic response time.

After sitting through the film, I can also understand why he rapt so long and poetic about Charlotte J’s butt. It does make J. Lo look sad.

Anyway, before you ladies out there get upset, just remember that we are men and men think like this.

The other film was Wong Kar Wai’s 2046 which is a sequel after a fashion to his earlier film IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE. I don’t think you have to see the earlier film to enjoy 2046. Having seen the earlier film, you do understand some of the characters slightly better but this does not detract from the overall enjoyment of the film. I particularly liked the acting of Faye Wong and Tony Leung. Maggie Cheung has a sort of cameo appearance at the start of the film and drops out. Zhang Ziyi, who is probably better known for her action films, plays the role of a call girl with a heart very convincingly and showed a wider acting range.

I really enjoyed this film. The Big Guy really liked it and saw it twice. I think I may try to catch it again if it is still playing in Los Angeles next weekend.

The theater venue where the film was showing operated like a clown circus today. The box office opened late but on the plus side of this was the fact that I missed half of the before screening advertisements. The film broke about twenty minutes before the end of the film. We sat in the semi-darkness, listening the same music over and over again until the film was repaired. It tool close to twenty minutes to fix the film.

It was sad because some of the patrons of the next screening came in while the film was ending for us. I hope their viewing was not spoiled.

The Big Guy and I had a late lunch at Albertacos again this weekend. It was wonderful and I filled myself so I skipped my dinner. As usual, I drank too much Coca-Cola and it showed in my nightly blood pressure reading. It was up above the regular readings.

The Immortal Yi Soon-Shin was sort of low key this weekend. No battles to fight at sea. The only battles were political ones about promoting officers in the Korean navy based on merit, regardless of the person’s caste.

The navy also got the privilege to require officers to have special skills like seamanship, navigation, strategy and tactics. The examination board looked like it had taken from a Patrick O’Brien novel; captains were asking the examinees questions on how a ship should be handled at a certain spot under certain tidal conditions. It could have been a Royal Navy board asking a midshipman how to handle an approach to Portsmouth.

That part was slick since it showed that navies are the same all over the world.

Tonight’s episode focused on the outbreak of measles. It plague was spreading rapidly and taking parts of the fleet out of service. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

And that gentle readers was my weekend.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home