Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Blue sky today

We had a bright blue sky in most of Los Angeles today gentle readers.

Krispy Kreme donuts
The bright blue sky day was made even brighter when the Krispy Kreme donut delivery person dropped three dozen donuts off for our office this morning. Those of you that can remember will recall that I had no part in the getting the second donut delivery.

Vivian, the perky office assistant, said it best when she took the three boxes of donuts to the staff room, “You can have four donuts each.” I held myself to only two.

Another staffer and I discussed what was so good about Krispy Kreme donuts. We concluded that they were just a product of hype. We also had a slightly difficult time with the conversation because we had donuts in our mouths.

Three Kingdoms novels
My Three Kingdoms novels arrived today from Amazon.com. The four volume set is regarded as one of China’s greatest historical novels. According to the box, the novel, written in the early 13th century, was the first Chinese novel to use chapters. I think there are almost 100 chapters in the over 2,300 pages. The Three Kingdoms is considered to be the Chinese version of Homer’s Iliad and the Odyssey.

I think this will be a fascinating collection to read. I expect to gain a better understanding of the Chinese culture from reading the novel.

I am also slightly concerned about having the book. The book was published by the Foreign Language Press in Beijing. The book says specifically that it is not for sale in North America.

Does this mean I am breaking some really obscure Chinese law? Or, does this mean Amazon.com did something wrong?

I am going to go with the Amazon screwed up concept for a defense. I plan to focus on the idea that Amazon had last clear chance to avoid breaking the sales restriction.

Non-Deconstruction Day
It was Day 47 for the building next door today.

The building worker elves were out last night and put up some new shiny signs for the restroom doors. I wonder when they will get around to putting our company signs back up outside of the entrance to our space. I suppose that I could start keeping track of how long the signs have been down but then the blog would end up being just a series of different Days.

Who would want to read a blog with just almost meaningless numbers?

Bad Tats
I have another excellent reason for not getting a tat, good or bad.

Some of the tattoo ink contains lead. In California, a manufacturer has to disclose if one of their products contains a hazardous substance and lead certainly meets that requirement.

Does it sound reasonable to knowingly allow someone to inject ink with lead in it into your body?

I feel that my logic will probably get overlooked by those who get tats. Most of them seem to smoke so I guess a little lead is not so bad when compared to the potential for lung cancer from the cigarettes.

Something to think about for sure.

And now, I am off to do some reading.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home