Tuesday, September 20, 2005

It never rains in Southern California

Hello again gentle readers.

It never rains in Southern California
I used to think that the song was true and that it never rains in Southern California. I am beginning to change my mind or at least consider changing my mind. We had real rain in Southern California today.

As far as I can tell, the rain started in the night with thunder and lightening. Being a sound sleeper, I did not hear any thunder. Just as well because I was enjoying a nice solid night’s sleep.

The rain fell off and on in varying degrees all morning long and well into the early afternoon. I don’t how much rain we received but it was way more than a trace.

Rain always panics most drivers in Southern California. They seem unable to adjust their driving to accommodate the rain. Or give up talking on a cell phone while driving in the rain.

I had a joint customer call on a prospective customer today with one of our Orange County branch managers. Normally, the drive from my office to his office would take just over an hour under dry road conditions. The rain extended the drive to almost two hours and that was back breaking almost.

On the plus side, I was pleased that I didn’t get my car washed this weekend. There was just enough rain to make some of the dust on the car turn to a mud like substance. I will get it washed this weekend before I take Sharon to Morton’s for our dinner.

Krispy Kreme donuts
The building management bought Krispy Kreme donuts for everyone in the building on Monday. It was their way of thanking us for being good sports about the evacuation last week. We received our donuts and promptly consumed them.
It was all good.

Today, the building management company said they were buying us some more donuts because they thought we did not receive the Monday donuts. Now, just for the record, I did not take the call from the management company so I don’t know what was said during the phone call.

They said they tried to get the donuts to us today but Krispy Kreme was unable to deliver them. We will have to wait until tomorrow to enjoy them.

I can wait a day.

The management company is tossing an ice cream social of sorts on Thursday to celebrate the end of Summer. They also want to keep us happy during the start of the second year of the building remodeling project. The project is now set to end in Fourth Quarter 2005; I am reading that to mean December 31, 2005 or maybe later.

Non-Deconstruction Day
It was Day 46. The rain would have prevented the workers from working outside so I am not sure if I should count this as a non-work day. I will because I do not count holidays and weekends. It all balances out in the end I think.

The roof top palm trees were out in the rain today. I don’t know how much rain fell in the palm tree pots. I figure that any rain has to be good for the trees since I don’t think anyone is watering them. They were looking sad the other day.

G5
The G5 continues to cause us troubles. The Big Guy tried the suggested Microsoft solutions. They only had a modest impact at improving overall performance.

We talked about the troubles. I suggested it could be cause by a failure of one of the two processor chips. This ought to slow things down. We also considered the Ram stack chip is failing as a possible solution.

The Big Guy decided to take the G5 into the local Apple store this weekend when he has the time to sit and wait while they work on it. I told him that I thought this was probably the best and least stressful solution.

DVD Planet.com
Since I was in Orange County for the customer call, I stopped at DVD Planet.com to pick up some more DVDs. I got six new AFI 100 Best Films on the way home. I only have eleven more DVDs on the list and most of them are not out in DVD release yet. I also pre-ordered my copy of EPISODE III. Now, I do not have to rush to the store when it comes out on November 1st.

Be well and stay happy gentle readers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home