Sunday, September 18, 2005

Minneapolis Wedding Weekend Conclusion

Minneapolis Wedding Weekend Conclusion
This is the wrap up of the weekend in Minneapolis, Minnesota for my niece’s wedding.

When my Brother and I were having lunch, we talked about flying home. I said I was scheduled to fly out around Noon but was planning on going to the airport early and see it I could catch an earlier flight to the Coast. His flight was set to leave at 5:00 PM and that would put him into San Francisco International really late and then the drive home from there.

I suggested he catch an earlier flight so he could get home at a reasonable hour. He came around to the idea when he figured that everyone else would want to leave early in the morning and he would be stuck in the hotel lobby or airport lobby for several hours.

When we got back to our hotel, he called his airline and managed to get on a Noon flight as well. This would get him home in the late afternoon, much better arrangements.

People are different in the Midwest you know.
That’s the opinion of me and my Brother and my cousin from Connecticut.

People in Minneapolis do not have tans like we do here in California at the beach. I was just not ready for all of that pasty white skin. Nasty. I felt really out of place in my Tommy Bahama Aloha shirt with my tan arms sticking out as I was walking around downtown Minneapolis.

The Wedding
The wedding was a nice wedding as weddings go. It was a short service and we were pleased with that.

The minister struck me as being on funky side, sort of a through back to the 1960s. All he needed was some love beads and a peace button. I think it was his messy, unkempt hair that made me nervous. The Brother was not impressed by him either; he would know since he played the father of the bride a little over a month ago.

Our cousin, the mother of the bride, did not get along with the minister at all. She said she almost punched his lights out. That would seem to indicate there was friction within the wedding party.

For the family record, I think the minister was selected by the groom and his family.

Speaking of the groom, he looked nervous and scared at the wedding. I do not recall him smiling very much or often. He looked old too. Not a good sign for the future if you ask me.

I don’t think any of the men in the wedding party were comfortable wearing tuxedos. One of the groomsmen took his tuxedo coat off as soon as he got to the reception. I saw him later sitting at an empty table with his feet up on the table and he was talking on his cell phone. If my hearing was a little better, I could have heard half of his conversation.

The Brother and I were placed at a table with six people from South Dakota. Right away, we had very little in common with them except for being citizens of the United States of America and having some minor connection with the bride’s side of the wedding.

There was one ditzy blonde at the table who must have been a model for the “country bumpkin” contest. The favors at the tables included some Hershey’s chocolate kisses. The ditsy blonde decided that my Brother and I did not want our chocolate kisses so she just helped herself to them and put the bag with the crumpled foil from the kisses back in front of our places.

My Brother and I were confused when we sat down and saw the crimpled foil. The ditzy blonde said, almost as a matter of fact, “I figured you wouldn’t want the candy.” She smiled. She looked like the village idiot’s wife then.

Our only explanation was that she was from South Dakota and did not know any better. Our opinion was confirmed when she went to another table and helped herself to someone else’s candy. I guess she did it because she thought she could and that manners and good behavior are things you can leave home.

The Midwesterners have strange customs. They banged their glasses and plates periodically during the dinner. When they stopped, the bride and groom had to get up and kiss each other. Neither one of us had ever seen anything like that before; we figured it was the Midwestern influence again.

This practice went on all through dinner. I thought it was the inmates demanding better food in some 1940s B – prison film. After a while, the DJ drew couples’ names out of a hat so they could get up and kiss each other. That certainly took the focus away from the bride and groom.

The Brother and I left shortly after dinner was concluded and we said good night to the bride and her family. I think that was a smart move. Besides, we got back to the hotel in time to see the end of the Ohio State – Texas football game.

Saturday Night
When I was watching the football game, I saw that my beloved Utes beat Utah State 31 to 7 in Salt Lake City. There was very good. The victory ran their unbeaten string to 18.

I took a photo of Jennifer the desk clerk at the hotel with my cell phone camera. I wanted to see what a photo would look like. It turned out nice but small. I tried to rename the image from Photo 1 to Jennifer. The photo program only allows for a three character name.

Sunday and the Flight Home
I got up early and went to the airport. Jennifer drove the van and that was nice. I gave her a nice tip.

I checked in with America West and inquired about switching to an earlier flight. This being Sunday, my choices were limited. They could get me on an earlier flight but could only give me a seat as far as Las Vegas. I would be listed as a standby and have to take my chances. I decided to go with my scheduled flights and get home for sure.

I walked on the gate and read. I also did a little people watching.

I was unnerved when America West had to page the flight crew for the earlier flight to report to their gate. Wouldn’t the flight crew know which gate they were supposed to be at and wouldn’t they know when they had to be there? This did not instill confidence in me.

This was September 11th and I had thought that many people would not want to fly on this day. Boy, was I ever wrong. The flight was full. There was no crummy in-flight movie on this older and smaller aircraft.

The flight from Phoenix to Los Angeles was also crowded but it was a short flight so that was a little better for me.

Catching Up with the Princess
You may recall that the Princess was going to be in Phoenix this weekend for one of her best friends from high school’s wedding. Since my plane was early and I only had to walk across the concourse to my new gate, I had lots of time to kill.

I phoned her to say hello. She was in the airport but at a different terminal so we could not get together. The Princess was shocked when I told her about her uncle and my experience with the ditzy blonde from South Dakota.

I asked her what sort of favors Tami had. The Princess said Tami had an open bar instead. She and her best friend Kim thought that was an excellent solution. They were even happier when they were placed at the table nearest the bar. I suppose they were on first name basis with the bar tender before the wedding was over.

Bad Tats and Bad Thongs in Phoenix
I think most of you know I am not a big fan of tattoos on women or men. Some tats, like an eagle, globe, and anchor, from military service or a small rose on an ankle are fine.

I saw one young woman in Phoenix who had a really bad tat. It looked like she had a fungus on her foot and it was moving up her leg. It was mostly red and green and was an intricate, almost Eastern or Hindu, influenced design.

It started just back of her toes and came to her leg. There, it went around her leg and up it until it reached her calf, maybe six or seven inches or sixteen centimeters. It did not look pleasing to me. She also had another tat on her arm and one more, that I could see on the back of her neck. Since she was standing opposite where I was sitting in the boarding area, it was hard not to see her and the tats.

She also sat next to me on the plane so I could not avoid seeing the tats. I decided to not strike up a conversation with her. There was no reason to do so.

One of Ms Bad Leg Tat’s friends was wearing low rider jeans. I have nothing against low rider jeans; in fact, I tend to enjoy them for the most part.

I guess her friend in the low rider jeans did not care about what others thought of her. Her low riders were just too low; I got to see that she was wearing a black thong when she turned around. It had drifted well above the top of her jeans. I got to see part of her butt crack and that was way too much for a gentleman like me to be exposed to.

Since my breakfast had been digested by now, I had nothing hurl from an upset and disturbed stomach.

Ladies, for the love of God and all of humanity, please think first when you are out in the world exposing yourself. Showing too much skin is just not right and painful to behold by others.

Emails
Surprise, surprise, I had an inbox full of junk emails when I got home. I had133 emails and all but 16 were spam or other forms of junk. It took a while to clean out the inbox.

The Immortal Yi Soon-Shin
I missed the Saturday episode. I don’t think I missed all that much from what I saw on Sunday.

The emotional and short sighted replacement admiral, Won Kyu, had dutifully followed the king’s orders and engaged the numerically superior Japanese fleet. The Japanese had over 1,000 warships at the start of the battle and the Koreans had about 200 warships. The outcome, based on size of the fleets, would seem obvious and it was.

At the end of the battle, only twelve Korean ships survive. That’s a 95% loss rate. You can’t win a war with losses like that.

The Koreans are in retreat everywhere. Their naval bases have been captured or destroyed. Stores have been burned to prevent the Japanese from getting them. Their Chinese allies have retreated all the way back to China across the Yalu River in a matter of a few short weeks.

Oh yes, the king has recalled Yi Soon-Shin and restored him to his old rank. The delusional king expects Yi to turn the tide of the war, now in its sixth year.

And so gentle readers; this concludes my weekend in Minneapolis.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home