Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Farewell Alan Greenspan

Farewell Alan Greenspan
Farewell Alan, we bankers will miss you greatly now that you have gone into retirement. For you, retirement will be soft and sweet; I’m told that you have opened a consulting business and that you will be making speeches at $500,000 a session.

Lord, I hope you are clear and concise so that even a simple banker like me could understand what you are saying.

Dissertation
Yesterday was a joyful day for me.

My dean approved my dissertation prospectus after we discussed it and made changes to it for an hour or so. I think it was good in shape.

When I got home from school, it was late and I checked me email. My dean had sent me a list of the faculty who could serve on my dissertation committee. I sent out five invitations; I need to form a committee of three so I needed to include an extra one or two in case someone said he was too busy with other committees.

I was very happy when I received an acceptance this morning from my tentative committee chairman. Since this committee member is the dean of business school, I know he will be on my committee.

I also know he will work my butt off; he will also make sure I produce the work that I am capable of doing.

The dissertation will become my mistress for the next nine months or so.

Bad Dreams
I woke up yesterday with a dream about having a really ugly cramp in my calf in the middle of the night.

I thought it was only a dream until I put some weight on that leg. I felt the residual pain from the course through my leg and spread outward like a flood. It was nasty and painful. I stayed in the shower a bit longer than normal to let the hot water run on the calf.

I limped around the office for most of the morning. By the afternoon, it was better.

Sharon
I phoned Sharon yesterday on my way into work.

I wanted to wish her a safe trip to San Francisco and a productive meeting while she is there. Since I called her on the wrong cell phone, she said, “Call me at home tonight,” and then hung up.

Naturally, I was unable to catch up with her last night.

Cell Phones
I have three cell phones but I only use one for most of my calling. Having multiple cell phones is such an L. A. thing.

My main phone is with Cingular; I have one other Cingular phone that I rarely use. Doug has Cingular phone so we talk for free because we have in-network unlimited calling. I think I have saved a ton of money on long distance calls since he lives three Area Codes away.

The other Cingular phone, the one I rarely use, is useful because it has lucky numbers in it. That phone number has five sevens in it; highly lucky if you are an Asian American. If I find an Asian American girl friend, I will give her that number to call me.

I want to be lucky in love too.

The thirds phone is my oldest; I have had it since 1989. It is a Verizon cell phone number. I keep it for a couple of reasons. First, it is a 213 Area Code number. Those numbers are very hard to get anymore.

The second reason to keep it is that the Princess and Sharon both use Verizon. I have unlimited in-network calling with Verizon so I can talk to them more often. When you consider the Princess lives in Atlanta, I am saving even more than a ton of money on avoiding long distance toll charges.

Sharon lives three or four Area Codes away. No long distance charges to call her, I only worry about the battery giving out on me.

But the last two or three phone calls before yesterday have mostly been monologues where I was the audience. Sometimes, women like to talk and talk and talk and then talk some more.


I’ll be back tomorrow night with the Weekend Preview.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home