Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Halfway Day

Halfway Day
It was Halfway Day for me today. I spent most of my day at the Honda dealership’s customer service waiting area. I was waiting to see if they could figure out what went wrong with the car on Saturdayand then fix the problem. After two hours or so of looking and poking and such, they did not find the cause of why the car would not start on Saturday.

The technician said it “may have been a transitory event;” big words for “beat’s the hell out of me.”

The service writer suggested that I leave the car with them so the technicians could drive my car and see if they could duplicate the problem. There was no need to drive the car; it wouldn’t start. I think they were just looking for a free ride for a couple of days.

Spending just under six hours at the dealership sort of flushed my whole work day down the drain.

I was able to conclude a contract negotiation on behalf of my client with a forty minute long cell phone call to New Jersey. Fortunately for me, I have something like 3,250 available minutes in my calling plan.

Doug called while I was at the dealership because his new phone came in and he wanted to get some information from me so he would not have any trouble picking it up. Things went well for him and he is very happy with his new cell phone.

Not Here Last Night
As you regular gentle readers know, I was not here last night.

I had to go to a class about using a blood sugar meter; the kind where it pricks your skin and you get a drop of blood and the machine analyzes. The class lasted for two hours when it could have been done in thirty minutes.

We had a nurse teach the class. She seemed more concerned with her own perceived important. Besides that, she had a very condescending attitude towards the three students. She made it seem like it was our fault that we have diabetes. I know I didn’t go around, raising my hand, saying, “Yeah, give me some more of that diabetes stuff.”

Now, I have to stick myself six times a week unless my doctor wants me to do it more frequently. Hopefully, six times a week will be enough for him.

I did not get home from class until 8:40 PM and I was very hungry since lunch was at Noon. So, by the time I finished dinner, it was close to 9:30 PM and I was tired so I went to bed early and slept soundly instead of posting a blog for you.

Job Searching and Interviewing
I had an email from a recruiter on Monday who wanted to know if I had an interest in a relationship manager job at a bank out in Orange County. I replied and said I had an interest.

I phoned him on Tuesday. We talked for about half an hour about the job and the bank. He felt I was a good fit for the position and said he would submit my resume to the hiring manager. We will see what happens in the net couple of days.

I also got a call from another credit union president who wanted to talk to me about a new program at her credit union. Like many CEOs, the salesperson had only spun the bright golden story and left out all of the dark parts and the scary parts.

I focused on those parts, the dark ones and the scary ones because I have seen CEOs lose their jobs because they did not fully understand what they were getting into.

The conversation was like an epiphany for the credit union president. She was saying things like, “The saleswoman never mentioned that,” and “that sounds very bad to me.” She was not in favor of the program and was hoping I would find her a way out of the briar patch.

I believe the CEO will invite me to speak to her board of directors and show them the light. I can do that easily. I may be able to pick up some more work from the credit union in the area of acting as a planning meeting facilitator. I have been in enough of those types of meetings in my career to know how to set one up and lead it. Once you give one good session, the second and third ones are easier. It can help build a consulting practice that I could work in on a part time basis.

Douguary Event
The Doug said he was going to pass on the DUB Car Show on Saturday. I will go to it and take lots of photos with the digital camera. I will look obviously much older than the regular target market place customer; I can live with that I think.


That was yesterday and today, the 14th and 15th gentle readers. I will be back tomorrow with another weekend preview.

Be well and be happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home