Sunday, February 26, 2006

Weekend Update

Milestone
This is my 250th blog posting. Who would have thought that I could keep this going for this long.

The tragedy of it all
Saturday was the end of Douguary Dinner at Morton’s.

I took my friend Sharon to the dinner. She has always been kind towards Doug and she enjoys herself there. Those were important reasons to include her.

Sharon wore a really attractive, gold sequiny like top that was almost strapless and black pants. She was looking fine.

Sharon and I arrived first and learned that our favorite server of all time, Amy, was ill on Saturday. This was something, frankly, that neither Doug nor I had even considered in our planning. We were more concerned about the other invitees.

Amy’s replacement was Heidi and, yes, Heidi had blond hair. Heidi was very good and she did a great job for us. Doug and I agreed that Heidi would be our second choice for a server at Morton’s if Amy was unavailable in the future.

Using a baseball analogy, it is always good to have a pitcher all warmed up out in the bullpen in case the starter begins to weaken in the later innings of the game.

I was on my way out of the door to go pick up Sharon when Doug called. His friend Coulter wanted to know if it was too late for him to join us. I told Doug that Coulter was still very welcome and there would be a place for him at the table.

The call from Doug made me a few minutes late picking Sharon up. She called me at 5:00 PM, probably wanting to know where I was and why I wasn’t at her house yet. I was busy when she called navigating a freeway interchange and lots of merging traffic that was alternately speeding and slowing. I think I wisely paid attention to the traffic instead. As it was, I was only three minutes late so that was not very much in the grand scheme of things.

As things turned out, Coulter was able to stay for almost the entire meal. He had to leave to go to Pasadena just before dessert. He was participating in a charity fund raiser auction; he was being auctioned off.

We all wondered what one would be with a film maker. Perhaps the answer is better left to another blog posting.

The meal got off to a slow start because one of the invitees, Morgan, was stuck in traffic on one of our non-freeways. Morgan arrived about 45minutes or so late. Being good friends we waited for Morgan before we ordered.

During the meal, I made the mistake of referring to Sharon as my girl friend. She took exception to that. I got a gentile elbow in my ribs for it. However, Sharon is my friend and has been for a long time, back to 1987. And, she is very much a female. Sharon does not think of herself as being old so “girl’ is the most appropriate adjective for her.

Sharon and I agreed to share some of the food offerings. Morton’s tends to favor the larger size portions; they offer a 48 ounce/1.4 kilograms Porterhouse steak. That is sold as a meal for two, a couple of Douguaries ago, Doug and Robin each polished off one of those steaks.

Anyway, we decided to try a new appetizer and had some tuna tartar and it was very tasty. It was too much for one but just right for two. We also split a lettuce salad; Sharon gave me the bulk of her lettuce after she finished off the anchovies that are part of the salad.

We shared some spinach and wild mushrooms. I thought that was an unusual combination. It did taste excellent and it went very well with my small steak.

I am at the point now that I shared my dessert with Sharon. Actually, I just asked Heidi the server to enhance the regular dessert we ordered. I do draw the line at sharing food sometimes.

It was eerily silent during dinner at our table. We were all busy eating. I guess that

Doug’s friend Derek was unable to join the group because he was in Japan. I suggested to Doug that we make another trip to Morton’s in March so we can give Amy the gift we picked up for her and include Derek in the Morton’s meal experience. Doug is always ready for Morton’s so he thought that was a good idea of mine.

It is always nice to have one of your ideas validated.

The meal was superb. But, then, it always is at Morton’s. We finished up around 9:30 PM and sort of waddled off to our cars and the drives to our final destinations.

Sharon was very talkative tonight. We had about two hours in the car so she could talk. Her job is still terrible and it is affecting her more and more. Her language, which usually is very proper, bordered on the very colorful and earthy side at times. It was a side of Sharon that I had not seen before.

I brought up my girl friend logic with her when we driving back to her home. Sharon said, “I knew you would say that. I just knew you would use that logic.” I thought for a moment and decided to leave it as it was and not pursue the discussion any further.

Sharon also wanted me to massage her neck because it was sore and stiff which I did while we waited for Morgan and between the courses. I could feel the tension when I touched her neck. It was unusually strong, even for Sharon and her situation.

That was the big event for the weekend.

Other Saturday Stuff
I got the Prelude washed and vacuumed. I wanted it to look nice when we valet parked the car.

I also went by the local bookstore and picked up some books. I was planning to stay close to home on Sunday because of the final stage of the inaugural Tour de California is being held on Sunday in south Redondo Beach, where I live. I knew there would be nothing on television for me to watch so why not read instead.

Sunday Stuff
Well, I wrote the blog for one thing.

I finished off one of the books I purchased on Saturday. I had some spare time on Saturday so I started reading it then. It is a work of humorous, historical fiction. Still, I found it interesting enough to want to read all of the books in the series.

I finished up a revision to the Microsoft Project chart had I created for work. I think it will work nicely now. It should play well the board of directors meeting on Tuesday. It is detailed enough to satisfy them and small enough so they won’t spend a great deal of time on it.

Other Stuff and Errata
The School approved my proposed dissertation committee. Now, I just have to write the dissertation. You can look forward to some reduced blog postings over the next nine months or so while I struggle with it.

You probably noticed that there was no Weekend Preview on last Thursday. If you will recall, I had an interview with a recruiter out in the South O.C. I finished up the 90 minute interview a little before 6:00 PM.

Traffic was crummy but then it usually is crummy at that time of day. There are no alternate routes because everyone knows them and uses them. I just stayed on the freeway and struggled with the crush of traffic.

I got home around 7:30 and by the time I changed out of my suit, had my dinner, and sat down to catch my breath for a moment, as it were, it was fast approaching 9:00 PM and I hadn’t even checked my email yet.

I do feel proud of myself about the drive home on Thursday. I went right past the exit that would take me to the Original Tommy’s Hamburgers in Westminster. I think this was a reaction to my decision to eat better and to reduce the carbohydrates in my diet. Had I succumbed to the caloric laden siren song of a Number 1 Combination [double chili cheeseburger, fried and a medium drink], I would have really goosed everything bad in my diet and lifestyle.

Besides, I was going to Morton’s on Saturday so I could blow off Tommy’s.


That was my weekend gentle readers. I hope you had a great weekend as well. I think I may have left something out. If I did and it is blog worthy, I will post it in the coming week’ blogs.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home