Monday, February 20, 2006

What Ever Happened To ...?

What Ever Happened To …?
Have you ever wondered what happened to someone you were close to at one time? Do you think about where they are and if they are happy?

I have had some time, actually a lot of time, to think about this idea when the Prelude was getting fixed. There is nothing like spending two or three hours in an auto dealership customer service waiting room. I had time on my hands.

I also got to thinking about what would I do if I won the current big lottery prize; but more of that later on.

I was thinking about some of the women I have known from before and after my marriage and divorce. Since I am single and currently without a girl friend, why not think about women from my life.

But where do I start?

Before my marriage is a logical period and I can do it chronologically as well.

I could include Carolyn Brock. She taught me how to tie my shoes when we were in kindergarten. I think she was attractive but at five, guys don’t think about girls then. Anyway, she moved away when I was six so I really can’t think of her.

Then, there was Lynn and her friend Carol. I met them when I was forced to go to dance classes by my parents. They said it would be good for me to know how to dance. I am still waiting for a pay-off on that parlay. They always seemed so self centered and generally unfriendly to me. I don’t think I want to know what happened to them; they might blame me for any misfortune in their lives.

Now, I moving on to the girls I knew in high school. First, there was Lea Ann. She was a great kisser if you didn’t mind her trying to swallow your tongue. It was my first real experience with a girl, not that we did all that much. By today’s standards, we were sort of hand holders and that was about it. Since we went to different high schools, we didn’t see each other very often and we grew apart. That happens.

Then, there was Cathy. She was a year younger than me and in my brother’s class at high school. I was in my junior year. We had fun together until some senior with a car discovered her and she got more interested in him. Hard to beat a guy with a car. I grew over her. I would like to know what happened to her I think.

I supposed I should add Pam to the list. I think she was the first girl I ever had a crush on; I was too young to be in love with anyone then. We dated in high school off and on over the years. She was one of my mother’s choices for a girl friend for me. My parents knew her parents; they seemed to think we would be good together.

I lost touch with Pam when I went away to college and then into the Navy and my ship overseas. When you are gone for almost seven years, it is difficult to pick up the loose ends of your life.

I reconnected with Pam at one of the high school class reunions. It turned out that she never married [certainly not because of me] and became a school teacher. She looks physically well and is still very attractive when she doesn’t dye her hair a sort of orange color. I exchange Christmas cards with her to be sociable. Pam would be a good person to have a long term relationship with I think.

The only girl or woman now from the college years is Gail. We were together for almost three years. Gail baked great chocolate chip cookies for me. She often came over to the fraternity house between her classes to see me. It was not unusually for her to walk upstairs to the sleeping rooms and let herself in my room if I was late. The rest of the fraternity brothers accepted her and generally liked her. She wore my fraternity pin and I think I probably would have married her if I was ready for marriage at the time.

Unfortunately for me, my ship was going to be overseas for at least two and a half of the three years of active duty I had to serve. I did not want to marry her and then disappear or take her to Japan when my ship deployed to Japan for a two year tour. She would have been alone except for the other officers’ wives while we were at sea for months on end. Life would have been very hard for Gail then.

I caught up with her after I got out of the Navy. By then, three years or so later, she had been married, pregnant, and divorced with a small child. I thought long and hard about marriage then. I think we could have made it work. But, I knew my parents would have never stood for it. I made the politically correct decision and gave up on the idea of marriage with Gail.

Big mistake.

The war years are not really important for me because it was mostly bar girls in dimly lighted bars whose standard phrase was something like, “I love you no shit Joe, buy me drink.”

There are only two women from before I got married that I would want to know what happened to them.

First, there was Sylvia. She was a hot Latina with an infectious smile and melting giggle. We met at work. We dated for about six months. We were doomed from the start. Sylvia’s parents hated me and eventually forbade Sylvia from seeing me anymore. I was upset at the time but I later realized that this was an easy way out for me because my parents would have never accepted Sylvia. Our relationship had a sort of Romeo and Juliet characteristic to it. We were both doomed. I would love to know what ever happened to Sylvia.

Then, there was Anne or Melanie Anne. She hated her first name of Melanie so she was introduced to me as Anne. We had a short, tempestuous relationship. It was emotionally laden and always charged with tension. Our dating did not last much longer and we parted ways. I think things were complicated by her being an unwed mother and childcare was always an issue for us, long before I was ready to become a parent. Still, I would like to know what happened to her.

I don’t think there are any women from the post divorce period that I would have an interest in seeing now.

So let’s add up who would make the discovery list now: Lea Ann and Cathy from high school; Gail from college; and Sylvia and Melanie Anne from before my marriage. I guess that is what you could call a full hand.

Visitors to the Blog
Last week’s visitor list was unusual as we had someone at a Washington, D.C. area law firm spend some time reading the blog. We also had another Korean visitor who spent almost half an hour reading what I have tossed out as commentary and opinion. We also had a visitor each from Russia and Germany.

That was fascinating for me.

Nice Guy Chuck
I was Nice Guy Chuck again this week.

I did my ex-wife’s tax returns for her and filed them. She was pleased with that I did the work. She was even more pleased that she was getting a nice refund. I also did my son’s returns as well and, being Dad, I got to pay for them as well. His tax bill is only $24 so I can live with that I guess.

Prelude car repairs
The Prelude was in the repair shop over the long weekend. I got new tires and a wheel alignment from the local Sears auto center. It was an emotionally draining day, watching them screw around with the car and take forever to finish a simple job.

While I was waiting for Sears to finish my car, I had time to call the Princess. I had been over a week since we talked last. The Princess and Emily her roommate were enjoying the Ethel M chocolates. They put the chocolates in the freezer so they would be less tempted by them. We also talked about my upcoming trip to Atlanta and the birthday dinner. It looks like it will be just four of us for dinner.

My time with them was extended because their computer based inventory system was not functioning properly. It said they had four Bridgestone tires when they only had three. I had to wait an extra forty five minutes for them to find a fourth tire at another Sears store.

Today, I took it into the Honda dealership for new boots on the front axle. The boots protect the bearings so they are something that can’t be avoided. This is a labor intensive project since the wheel and brake assemblies have to be removed. The job was done on time here.

All told, I had around six or seven hours at the car repair shops so I had more than enough time to think about the women in my past.

Coworker Phone Call
I got a phone call from one of my peers at the old bank. He was calling to ask me if I had read about the judgment against the bank.

I said, “No.”

My friend went on to tell me the bank lost a $900,000 judgment for gender discrimination and sexual harassment. The quoted parts of the opinion in the Yahoo Finance press release painted a very bleak and grim picture of the bank.

It sounded like a party from the 90s with sexy, drugs, and rock and roll. Alcohol and drugs were available at company parties. Female employees were groped and then were passed over for promotion by less qualified males. Males who were part of the “wild bunch” got promoted. Senior manager knew about what was going on and condoned it or did nothing to stop it.

Probably the most embarrassing element to come out of the judgment was that the Chairman had flat out lied about going to Harvard for an MBA. He never graduated from any college.

Maybe being gone from there is not such a bad thing after all.

My friend and I talked about the bank. I said with so many senior managers; likely to be gone soon, maybe they will bring us back. I said that we would hardly recognize anyone if we went to the July management meeting.

Job Searching and Interviewing
I sent my resume into the company that contacted me towards the middle of last week. They called me Friday morning to set up a meeting with them at their office. I am not thrilled about the meeting time or location.

It is just one of those things about living at the beach. If I want to live here, I must be prepared to travel to work and pre-job interviews. Hopefully, they will be able to find me a job in Los Angeles County. My meeting with them is set for Thursday at 4:00 PM and will end just in time for me to get on the crowded freeways.

Laptop
I spent some time over the weekend cleaning out the hard drive. It has been almost two years since I last had to dump the “C” drive. I was able to move about 1.5GB of files into the trash and off of the drive. I am hoping that will improve performance.

I also did a complete backup of my files. Backup took three CDs; that seemed like a lot of stuff but some of the photos files are fat ones.

Douguary Events
I went to the DUB Car Show in downtown Los Angeles by myself after I got the Prelude new tires. From the magazine, it appeared that the show started on Saturday. On Saturday, they were setting up for the show. This made the trip into downtown a bust. Oh well, life goes on.

Albertacos, on the other hand, was excellent. We got their in between Sunday afternoon crowds. We each had our usual meals; two Number 8s and two medium drinks for here. The food was hot and fresh. I did take some photos but I haven’t figured out how to link them to the blog yet.

We don’t talk much while we eat. It seems talking is an illogical activity when there is hot fresh food to be eaten. On the subject of food, we also talked about the upcoming, end of Douguary event, the annual dinner at Morton’s in Santa Ana.


That was my weekend gentle readers. I hope your weekend was as productive and positive as mine was.

Be well and stay happy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Douglas Reinhardt said...

theres photos of the dub car show on the cobrasnake:

http://www.thecobrasnake.com/partyphotos/carshow/index.html

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home