Sunday, March 12, 2006

No March Madness

No March Madness
There will be no March Madness for the Utah men’s basketball team this year. Last year, they surprised a lot of people and went to the Big Tournament. They did well but were playing over their collective heads.

This year’s team did not have Andrew Bogut at center to build a team around. I think of 2005-2006 as a rebuilding year. Hopefully, next year will be better. On the plus side, I won’t have to watch them on television.

The Utes got to the semi-finals of the conference championship. They had played well up to then. They lost to Wyoming 47 to 60. The score did not reflect the way the game turned out. Utah only shot 26% from the floor and Wyoming hit almost 57%. It is very difficult to win with that sort of shooting.

The Utes did end the season well by beating the traditional rival BYU in the conference tournament in Denver this past week. Beating BYU is always a good way to the end the season.

The Utah women’s basketball team is going to the Big Dance in March.

I will have some Utes to root for although I can’t remember when the last time I rooted for a women’s team from Utah except for my freshman year when I went out with a downhill racer on the women’s ski team. My freshman year was a long time ago and in a galaxy far, far away.

I wonder whatever happened to her.

The women’s basketball team ended up ranked Number 19 in the country. The team won the conference championship and they beat BYU in winning the championship. That was sort of like a triple play except I can’t think of the third element but it should be there somewhere.

Last year, the blog’s visitor traffic was boosted by my comments on the Utah basketball team and their opponents. That resulted in some linking and some additional visitor feeds. I don’t think that will happen this year.

Dissertation Committee Meeting
My committee chair meeting went very well last Thursday. The chair is also the dean of the school of business so I have to do a great job. I am confident that I will do well and meet his expectations.

I also had a chance to meet informally with the other two committee members. I had a lengthy discussion with one member about the concept and my ideas. He seemed supportive and that is always nice.

DVD Planet.com
I stopped at DVD Planet.com on my way home from the Committee meeting to pick up some DVDs since it was only slightly out of my way. Besides, I already was in the area so I wanted to avoid wasting the gasoline.

I hit the jackpot at DVD Planet. I was able to pick up three Miyazaki animes including HOWL’S MOVING CASTLE and MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO. I had been looking for TOTORO for a couple of years now and it is finally out in Region I. I also picked up my copy of HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE.

No Thursday Posting
I was going to try to put up Thursday night when I got home. As I thought, I go home late and when I added in making my dinner and then cleaning up afterwards and that I had a very poor night’s sleep on Wednesday, I decided to crawl in bed and catch up on my much needed rest.

I must have been really tired. I went to bed a little before 9:00 PM and I did not move much for six solid hours. That was wonderful for me as I felt great on Friday morning.

Friday at the Office
Friday was an unusual day at work.

There was rain for most of the morning so that meant the smokers were out of luck. They had to stay inside. One of the managers in the office is a smoker. She does not have a window in her office so she was sticking her head in my office about every twenty or thirty minutes to see if the rain had stopped so she could go out a light up.

The building fire alarm went off twice during lunch. I had a salad so I was not too inconvenienced by the required building evacuation. The second alarm went off as I was leaving for the day so I just kept on going. I waved to my co-workers as they stood in the cool, breezy, evacuation meeting spot.

I sort of felt sorry for them, being out in the cold and all.

Nesting
I think the bird’s nest is about complete. It looks like a half of a large cup that has been glued to the side of the building. I was going to go out and look at it closer but it was raining and I had no desire to get wet and cold.

The main reason for my belief the nest is complete is there was a splash of bird poop on one of the building windows next to the nest. It looked like the birds had moved in and were setting up house keeping.

I hope the building management allows the birds to complete their egg cycle. It would be a shame for them to order the nest to be torn down.


Job Searching and Interviewing
I don’t have too much to report here today.

Last week, three insurance companies picked up my resume from one of the online job search engines. They all wanted to talk with me about becoming an agent with them. I thought about it for a while and decided in the end to not pursue their interest in me. It takes some time to build a book of business as an insurance agent and I do not have that much time to spend on that effort.

I did find a cool job for Sharon and I emailed it to her home email address on Friday. Of course, when I called her on Saturday morning, she was out food shopping and she was staying with her mother and didn’t have access to the email account and would have to drive all the way to her house to learn about the job and then have to drive all of the way back to her mother’s house and it was cold and it was raining.

Sometimes, I think I should just stay in bed.

The Princess
I finished up the birthday shopping for the Princess on Friday. It is easy when you are buying gift certificates. You don’t have to worry about the return receipt since who would want to return a gift certificate to a store that you love to shop at. All I have left to do is put them in their birthday card envelops and write a witty comment on the cards and deliver them when I go to Atlanta in two weeks for her birthday dinner.


I don’t have too much more to say because I didn’t very much this weekend. It was raining off and on all weekend long and it was cool for us. Tonight, the temperature will be down to 37F/4C and that, my friends, is right cold.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home