Sunday, March 05, 2006

Weekend Update

Smoking on the balcony
I was out smoking on the balcony this afternoon. Today was one of the first nice days that I have experienced so far this week.

Friday was rain all morning long. Not good at all. Of course, the Prelude looks even worse now that it has been rained on twice since I had it washed. It will get rained on again on Monday when the forecast calls for more rain. The rain might even continue on into Tuesday and that would be really depressing.

I know that to many of you rain is not much of an inconvenience. You are probably correct. But, I would point out that you do not live in Southern California where we live for the sun and its warm and radiance.

I was reading a Star Trek novel while I was out on the balcony. There was no sense in straining my mind. It was cold or maybe it was cool outside. I was well bundled up and I did not get too cold although my fingers took a while to warm up when I came inside.

Non-Douguary Event
I dropped off Doug’s and his mother’s income tax returns on Saturday. Then, he and I went to In n Out Burgers for lunch. This was a non-Douguary Event because In n Out is not high on his list of favorite places to eat right not.

Doug indulged me with the lunch venue. Anyway, I had a 3x3 protein style, a medium drink and fries. Doug had a 4x4 protein style and water. Protein style, for those of you who do not live in Southern California and frequent In n Out, substitutes lettuce leaves for the traditional hamburger buns.

It is much lower in carbohydrates and higher in fiber. I will admit that protein style takes a few meals to get used to the feel of the hamburger in your hands. The sacrifices I make to eat healthy. I also drank root beer with no caffeine, even better for me.

A 3x3 or 4x4 for that matter is three patties of beef and three slices of cheese with tomato and pickles. A 4x4 is just one of each.

I had a light breakfast of only an English muffin and a banana. Doug had not had any breakfast so out stomachs were empty.

Douguary Events Photo CD
I burned the Douguary Events Photo CD yesterday. It turned out to be just under 32mb. I was pleased with my first effort at creating the CD by taking the images from the Sony digital camera.

I am getting better with it each time I use it. The Morton’s Dinner photos were not the huge image files so they were able to be emailed. The Morton’s photos were around 140kb while the Original Tommy’s and others were around 1.45mb in size.

Laptop Maintenance
I did some more cleaning on the laptop this weekend. In the last month or so, I must have dumped over 1.5 GB of files from my hard drive.

I also blew the cobwebs out of my email address book yesterday. I think this was the first cleaning in over a year. It is amazing how much stuff accumulates in the address book without even thinking about it. Now, I have about twenty fewer names than I had before I started this cleaning project.

Naturally, since I run Windows XP Professional, I saw no improvement in the laptop’s performance. Those of us who work in the Wintel world know that you can never improve performance by removing stuff from the hard drive. Other programs seem to rise to the occasion and just bloat up.

Still, removing all of those files should make the daily anti-virus program sweep modestly more efficient.

Academy Awards
The Academy Awards are tonight and I am unsure if I am going to watch the show. It is one of those few programs that are broadcast live on the West Coast. Most of the time, we get a taped broadcast that is shown and sometimes edited for our time zone.

I think my next DVD collection effort will be the Academy Awards Best Film winners. My American Film Institute 100 Best Films list is missing only seven films and two are not available on DVD currently.

The Academy Award Best Films list will be easier to collect since this is only the 78th awards ceremony. Also, many of the Best Film winners were on the AFI list like Gone with the Wind. I am guessing that I probably have maybe half of the winners already. This will be a shorter collection effort I think.

Foreign Visitors to the Blog

This last week was a thin week for foreign visitors to the blog. We had one come in from Chile and one from the Netherlands.

There was one visit from someone who worked at a law firm. That should count as a foreign visitor I think.


I know this is a short Weekend Update. Some weekends are going to be like this. Blog happen.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home