Monday, March 13, 2006

Power Failure Last Night

Power Failure Last Night
The power went out at my house last night. I don’t think the power was out for very long. I think that the power lines touched and created a temporary outage around 11:45 PM or thereabouts.

Since I was asleep, the power outage went unnoticed by me until I woke up at 4:40 AM. I looked at the flashing red lights on the clock and then rolled over and went back to sleep.

Weather Report
It was sunny and warmer and less windy today. Naturally, the weather improved as we went back to work. There was the usual crowd of smokers out in the courtyard this morning so that made it nice for viewing when I reached a mental block during my writing this morning. Tomorrow, we are supposed to have some rain come in during the morning hours. That will adversely affect the courtyard smokers again.

Nesting
The birds are still building their nest. Tomorrow may bring them some nice muddy conditions that will be perfect to build with.

I saw one of the birds this morning. It was on the bench outside of my office. It is a medium grey colored bird with a white chest. I think it is smaller than a common sparrow but I could be wrong on this count. I am guessing that this bird was the male of the pair since it was the one that was gathering building materials.

It will be interesting to see how things turn out with the birds.

Job Searching & Interviewing
I saw an interesting job posting today and responded to it.

The job is in banking compliance. Compliance, for those of you who do not work in regulated businesses, is the thankless task of making sure the institution follows all of the various Federal and State laws and regulations. It is dull and sometimes boring. It is making certain everyone does what they are supposed to do.

I suppose one could think of being the head of compliance as like being the chief of police in the town.

The nice part about this job is that is one that is required by law so that once you get in the position it is hard to force the compliance person out. Forcing a compliance person out makes the regulators nervous and unhappy so you tend to be relatively secure.

You have to accept slower pay increases because you are not generating any revenue. I could point out that you are preventing the bank from being fined $500,000 for not following the regulations. $500,000 is real money to me.

You don’t have to worry about a teller who is dreadfully out of balance on a Friday night. Compliance questions never come up that late in the day so you can always be certain of being able to head for home at 5:00 PM every day.

Getting back to the story line, five minutes after I sent my email in to the recruiter, the recruiter was on the phone to me, talking about the job. It turns out that I know something about the bank. They gave me a wall calendar a couple of years ago; ten of the twelve months had advertising regulation violations on them. I can see why they need a sharp compliance person. The recruiter and I spoke for about twenty minutes. He is going to try to set up an interview for me either this week or next.

That was a nice way to end the week.


That was my short day.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home