Thursday, March 23, 2006

Weekend Preview

Weekend Preview and Programming Notice
I’m going to Atlanta to see the Princess for her birthday. If my flight is on time and I make the traffic lights, I will be home in the early evening on Sunday. That means there won’t be any Weekend Update until Monday.

I expect to be tired and worn out from an out and back flight. I should have a ton of junk and garbage in my email inbox to wade through. I might even have some people who want to chat with me, demanding my attention on Sunday evening.

As you can guess, the only item in my plans that won’t be upset or delayed is crawling into bed on Sunday.

Homeowners Association Annual Meeting
I went to my homeowner’ association annual meeting on Tuesday night. I live in a condominium and the association manages the building for the property owners. It is an annual event and one I wish I could avoid. Unfortunately, the fine for missing the meeting is $50 so I will show up and suffer through the meeting.

I consider myself extremely fortunate to have avoided being dragooned into serving on the board of directors. Some of my fellow residents believe that serving is a wonderful event.

In that case, let me step out your way. Go ahead and serve in my place; I will gladly sit on the sidelines and show up once a year. I’m happy with that.

Aside from being held in an unheated area of the building in what passes for our Winter, the annual meeting is open season on hearing your own voice in an assembly. Some of my neighbors like to hear themselves talk because they couldn’t shut up. It was out season on speeches; like many political speeches that will pollute the Fall air, these speeches said little and added even less to the general discussion or understanding.

The only nice and modestly compelling aspect of the whole evening was that Denise the Hot Chick Cop was sitting next to me. I just wished it had been July so Denise would not have had to bundle up like she was going out in the snow.

I so very glad that it was over in an hour. We have had much longer meetings over such incredibly trivial things like what color paint to use on the balcony railings. It sometimes seems to stagger the mind.

Nesting
The nest appears to be complete now. I could see both of the birds flying to and from the nest this morning.

If I were guessing, I would anticipate that the female will lay her eggs in the next week or so. The birds could be born in another month or so. All of the birds should be gone by the end of June or early July.

Job Searching and Interviewing
I had my phone interview today for the compliance position. Overall, it went poorly in my mind. I told the interviewer that this was not going to work and that I was not the person they needed.
The recruiter did a poor job of selecting me for the position. The recruiter did not understand what his client wanted and needed. I consider myself as being capable of filling the job but I would have needed some time to bring myself up to the level the client needed.

On the plus side, I got a return phone call from the recruiter who emailed me on Tuesday. She had an interesting banking job in downtown Los Angeles. We talked briefly and she said she was going to forward my resume to her client either today or tomorrow. That was an uplifting conversation for me. I will see how things develop here.

When I got home, I had another email from another recruiter who was looking for a Vice President of Lending and wanted me to call her if I was interested. Of course I was interested so I called her right away. We talked for a few minutes doing the prequalifications and I seemed to pass with flying colors.

The recruiter went on to tell where the position was located; close to my home, always a major plus. Then, the recruiter told who her client was and I said, “No thank you.” The CEO, and likely direct report, has a well earned reputation of being difficult to work for. The credit union goes through managers regularly and has trouble hanging on to good ones.

I am too old and too experienced to want to beat my head against a wall again. I will save that task for the young who have stronger heads.

Doug’s iBook laptop
I got a call from the Apple repair company with a diagnosis of the computer. It had a fried hard drive.

A new hard drive will be about $250 including installation and program loading. The new hard drive will be a 40 gigabyte device. While I was not thrilled at that cost, it seemed reasonable to me. At least, I would not have to reload the new hard drive and burn a couple of hours at that assignment.

Then, the technician told me that they could recover some of the files on the hard drive. The cost would be $90 an hour of work and, with a 30 gigabyte hard drive; I was looking at five hours of work. OUCH. The technician said it would be less if they only recovered selected and therefore important files. I told the technician that I would call him in the morning and let him know which files Doug wanted.

I called Doug and asked him if he knew which files were really important to him. At first, he couldn’t think which files but we finally got around to figuring out which ones were the ones he would like to have saved. I will call the technician and see what can be done tomorrow.


That was my day gentle readers; have a great weekend and I will see you when I get back home.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home