Sunday, April 09, 2006

Slo' Times for me

Slo' Times for Me
This was a period of slow times for me.

I did work on my dissertation as I had planned to do. I got about as far as I could. I need to speak with the Committee Chair to clarify two sections of the chapter. The chapter is now about 23 or 24 pages long and I am reasonably pleased with what I have written so far.

I know the Chair will find serious fault with my work; that is, after all, his job in this process.

With his clarification, I ought to be to finish the chapter by next weekend. Then, I will ask an outside party to proof read it for me and then I will submit it to the Committee for their collective approval.

DVD Planet.com
I had to go back to DVD Planet.com on Saturday to return a couple of duplicate purchases.

While I had no definite plans to purchase any DVDs, I did want to look at a Marlene Dietrich collection and a Mae West collection that were just released. These collections, while interesting, did not catch my attention.

The Mouse [Walt Disney Company] was sponsoring an inventory clearance of their old DVDs. There were a good number of Miramax titles on sale for $6.00 each. That was a real bargain so I picked up nine more DVDs including FROM DUSK TILL DAWN, GROSSE POINT BLANK, and INTERNAL AFFAIRS. After factoring in my return credits, my net cost was only about $10.

I watched INTERNAL AFFAIRS and TRIUMPH OF THE WILL yesterday afternoon. They soaked up all of the afternoon. I think it was time well spent.

DVDs Sitting on the Player
I now have four DVDs sitting on my player; SULLIVAN’S TRAVELS and Krzysztof Kieslowski’s trilogy RED, WHITE, and BLUE. I have some time this weekend I think so I ought to be able to knock off one or two these films.

Bad Sleeping
I did not sleep well at all on Thursday night – Friday morning. I think it was one of my worst nights’ sleep in may be six months or more.

I did not eat anything that would have upset my stomach for lunch or dinner Thursday.

The only unusual event for me was that I asked a new lady out to go to the theater with me. Her reaction was, “I would love to go to the theater with you.” That was more than I had anticipated.

Frankly, I was unprepared for her reaction so I forgot to tell her what we will see. I spoke with her again and asked if she wanted to know what was playing.

She said something like, “does it matter?”

I said probably not but we are going to see an updated, set in Southern California version of Shakespeare’s comedy, As You Like It. She thought that it sounded like fun and was looking forward to the play.

Little surprises like this can be really nice.

I did recover the lost hours of peaceful sleep by logging ten solid hours on Friday night and eight more hours on Saturday night.

Chuckay Plans
I spoke with Doug about the preliminary plans for Chuckay, the month long celebration of all things Chuck. They are beginning to firm up nicely now.

Our Morton’s dinner is set and we are likely to miss all of the Mothers’ day crowds. I have been avoiding eating anything remotely rich or chocolaty so I can indulge at dinner. We are both hoping that our favorite server Amy will be working when we go to the dinner.

I may try to work in a trip to the outlet mall to pick up some ties before it get too hot in the desert.

Cigar Smoking
I finally got out on the balcony this afternoon for a cigar. It is still too early for shorts and shirt sleeved shirts.

This was my first cigar in a couple of months. I did enjoy it and I am looking forward to more opportunities as the weather continues to warm up and as we get closer to Summer.

Foreign Visitors and Long Time Readers
This was an interesting week for foreign visitors. We had the usual ones from Canada and the United Kingdom.

The unusual and perhaps lost in the ether visitors came from Taiwan, Oman, Estonia, and Israel. You must admit that those are unusual home countries for the old blog.

There were no long time readers this week. I define, for now anyway, long time as being more than fifteen minutes on the blog or reading more than three pages.


That was the weekend gentle readers.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home