Wednesday, May 03, 2006

half way day

Half Way Day
I have made it half way through the week and that is good. Today was another slow day for me.

The one really big highlight today for me was at lunch when I finished a moderate level and an easy level Sudoko puzzle. The President of the company where I am now and I work on them collectively. We usually are joined with another consultant but he had other commitments today.

War Birds
No, I do not mean a Klingon bird of prey or a Romulan war bird. I mean a World War II combat aircraft.

There is a private [non-commercial] airport near the office where I work. This morning I heard the unmistakable sound of a multi-engine propeller driven aircraft. From the noise, it sounded like it was flying low so I looked out of the office window.

I saw an old Army Air Force B-17 Flying Fortress majestically flying by the building. It was painted in its traditional European theater of war olive drab colors. If I was better at recognition, I might have been able to guess which unit the plane came from.

The really remarkable feat was this aircraft is probably sixty or more years old. Even with a lot of love and care from the restorers, it was remarkable that it would still be airworthy and flyable today. This is a nice tribute to American manufacturing skills.

A little while later, I saw another old war bird; it was a Navy PBY Flying Boat. These aircraft are about as old as a B-17. The PBY’s most historic action was at the Battle of Midway, the turning point of the war in the Pacific. It was a sighting of the Japanese fleet by a PBY that launched the American attack that marked the end of Japanese expansion and crippled the air arm of the Imperial Japanese Navy.

I am guessing the planes were here for a local air show.

Jump Boots
I wore jump boots when I served in the United States Marine Corps Reserves a long time ago when my hair was darker and much shorter. I still have the boots; they are dusty but they still shine. I remember that they were never light when we were out humping over hill and dale with a pack on our backs and a helmet on our heads.

So you can imagine my surprise when I saw a young Asian American woman wearing jump boots today. She was in the courtyard, talking on her cell phone. She was stylishly attired with a nice dress that stopped several inches above her knees and a matching blazer. She certainly looked odd today.

I suppose she was making a statement of some sorts. Maybe her statement was, “I’m not very smart so I want to wear heavy military boots today. I will kick the competition.”

Sometimes, it is good to be old so you won’t get too excited by the excesses of youth.

Job Searching & Interviewing
One of the company’s middle level managers was in the Executive Office today for a meeting.

She made a point of stopping in my office after the meeting broke up. She wanted to know if I had applied for the soon to be vacant president’s position at the company. I said that I had. She was very pleased that I had and said, “That I was the best qualified candidate for the job.”

It was nice to hear her say that. It made me feel very good on an otherwise gray and overcast day. I thanked her for her kind words and said that the Board will be the ones who will make the final decision.

Still, it was nice to know that some of the managers would like to see me as the next president.


Not a very great day as my days go I think. It was better than some of my worst days.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home