Sunday, June 25, 2006

Weekend Update

Still no DSL
Crud!

I would use other and perhaps more appropriate words to describe my growing sense of frustration with Verizon.net and their continuing inability to provide me with the DSL service I ordered almost three weeks ago. I don’t think it is such a difficult task; I am certainly not the first person to have signed up for DSL service from Verizon.

When I had lunch with Doug today [more about that later on], I reviewed the best things about Verizon say as compared to Earthlink or AOL. Verizon does not have too much in its favor beyond lower prices and most call centers are located in the United States. Competing on price and not on service is not much of an advantage. Someone else can always offer a lower price.

I can almost quote what the call center people will say when I call them on Monday. They will say how sorry they are at the delays I have experienced. They will say that they will make my installation a top priority. They will say that they value me as a customer.

They will say blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, and more blah, blah.

Lies.

Pathetic lies.

Lunch with Doug
I had to go visit Doug to drop off a cable he needed to move the Atlanta trip photos from the digital camera to his personal computer.

We went to Albertacos since he had not had a Number 8 with a medium drink in a long time; at least a week. Anytime is a good time to go to Albertacos. I had a Number 8 with a medium drink and an extra carne asada taco. That was my lunch and dinner.

The big discussion item was the upcoming Anime Expo 2006, from Manga to Anime, over the Independence Day Weekend. I had planned to take Monday off and double up at the office at the end of the week. I thought Monday would be a good day to visit the show at the Anaheim Convention Center since it would be in the middle of the show [July 1 to July 4].

Doug thought I would do better if I went on Sunday since Saturday is a setup day and Monday is a day when tiredness is setting in. That makes a certain element of sense to me. I figure I can get out there when the show opens, probably at 10:00 AM, be finished by 2:00 PM at the latest, and back at my home by the beach by 3:00 or 3:30 PM.

Sunday it is for me then. It will be a nice break in the weekend.

Dissertation
I wrote five pages this weekend in Chapter Two and revised my first chapter. This was on the low side of my writing target goal. I also pruned about a dozen more references that are no longer related to the subject matter.

I was counting on being able to write for all four days of the Independence Day Weekend. I think I could have written 30 to 35 pages and maybe finished Chapter Two. That would have been a major accomplishment for me.

Now that I am going to the Anime Expo, I think I will be happy if I can write between 25 and 30 pages. I may not finish Chapter Two but I will be very close so I can accept that. I figure if I wrote for four solid days that I would be a mess by Wednesday morning when it came time to go back to work.

No Photos
You have, no doubt, noticed that I have been unable to post a single photo to the blog. I tried again to post a small 37 kb file on Saturday and had no luck at all. This is so frustrating for me.

I may have to make Doug a Balancing Checkbooks Team Member. Then, I could email the photos and text to him so he could post them for me or email the photos with instructions on where to post them. That would be a slow work around but it would work in the end and seriously address one major source of frustration for me.

Visitors, Foreign and Domestic

We had fewer foreign visitors this past week; three in fact, one each from Brazil, Canada, and Poland. The total traffic count for the month will probably be close to 250 visitors. That is down from May but still a good month for the blog. Last week, we had one visitor spend 24 minutes reading the blog and another spent 12 minutes reading the blog.

I wish I knew what I said that was so compelling and could hold the readers’ attention for that long.

That was my weekend; I hope you had a great weekend also.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home