Monday, July 24, 2006

Weekend Update Errata

Weekend Update Errata
This blog posting is mostly a collection of observations and such that I did not feel like writing about in the heat of Sunday. Some of these ramblings came from the Comic Con and others are not related to Comic Con.

That certainly has to be one of my more obtuse statements in some time.

And now, on to the Errata.

Desk Calendars
I have not yet converted completely to Microsoft Outlook for my office scheduling and calendaring. I like to use an old fashioned, paper based calendar that has a week on the page when you open the calendar and lay it flat on your desk. Outlook is a good program and I suppose in another four or five years I will have converted to it completely.

I like having a nice record of what I did or who I met with that with not disappear in a server crash. Maybe my reluctance to convert is a hold over from when I was the Year 2000 Project Manager at the company I was working for when 2000 rolled around.

It seems like I have three crummy choices when it comes to buying next year’s desk calendar. Choice One is to go with the same vendor as before. This is not a great decision since I have to write the times of the day in manually on all of the pages. Clearly, this is not what I want to do.

Choice Two is to buy a calendar from Barnes & Noble that has the times already printed for the days of the week. While, this appears to be a solution to the decision I was faced with in Choice One, it is but a cruel hoax. This calendar is bound like a book and probably will not lay flat on the desk. Plus, it has a leather cover and that is more than I need. It is a simple desk calendar; I do not have to impress anyone with it.

Choice Three is to buy a calendar from Barnes & Noble that has the times already printed for the days of the week and that comes with spiral binding so that it will lay flat on my desk. It would be fine except that it starts in July 2006 and runs until the end of 2007. I end up with six months of pages that I would have to remove since I am not going to change calendars in the middle of the year.

My question is this: why can’t the calendar publishers print a simple calendar that has the times of the day, lays flat, and only covers a calendar year? It would make things easier for so many people and lot less frustration for me.

Watchless in Redondo Beach
Doug convinced me to take off my watch on Saturday. He said he was less stressed after he took his watch off.

I have been watchless since Sunday morning. It does make sense since I have multiple time displays around me without my wrist watch. I have not been watchless long enough to tell if I less stressed or not. I think it is worth a try.

Sunday was a lay about day so not wearing a watch was not very significant for me. I was more or less fine today at work. I will see how tomorrow goes for me.

Comic – Con
I learned why it was so hot at the Comic Con on Saturday. On the local television news show on Sunday evening, the weather news reader said it had been 95F/34-35C in San Diego on Saturday. This was twenty degrees or eleven to twelve degrees higher than normal. That would explain why I had heat exhaustion.

I think I mentioned that a lot of the adults were dressed in a variety of costumes. There was a heavy influence of STAR WARS and STAR TREK in the costume selection. I did see one young woman dressed up as Snow White but she was not like any Snow White from Disney. This Snow White had on a short skirt that barely covered her bottom. She was wearing platform high heeled shoes. I think the platform was a couple of inches thick and the heels were close to six inches high. I might have stopped to speak with her but I would have lost my place inline and that would have been bad. She also had a tattoo on the back of her arm between her elbow and shoulder. There was a dagger through each heart; maybe she was a closet fan of the Step Mother. The tattoos helped me move on.

Churrascaria
I have an online chat acquaintance that lives in Brazil. She contacted me first. We were chatting the other day and the topic of restaurants came up; probably in the context of Doug and me going to Morton’s Steakhouse. She recommended that we try a transplanted Brazilian churrascaria restaurant, Fogo de Chao that came from her home town. It comes with a lot of features that appeals to Doug and me; it features an all you can eat beef and a salad bar.

What more could you ask for in a restaurant?

I suggested to Doug that we go there in August. He was all for it because you can pick your pieces of meat as the servers carve it for you at your table. I pointed out that it was not as fancy as Morton’s and that was a big plus with Doug.

When we were driving to San Diego on Saturday, I suggested that we change our planned outing from the middle of August until early September. This way we could invite his friend to join us and his friend would not have to with his vegetarian girl friend. She does not approve of this sort of dining that the three of us really enjoy.

Doug thought Dad had come up with an excellent idea again.

Time will tell if it was a good idea or not.

BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS
Doug got an extra copy of this film from the distributor when he did a review of it on his blog so he gave me a copy for my collection. For the record, Doug really enjoyed the film. I watched it on Sunday while I was resting.

This is a low budget film by Russ Meyer. The screen play was written by film critic Roger Ebert. It was originally intended to be a satire of the earlier film, VALLEY OF THE DOLLS. The only connection this film has to the earlier one is the title.

As Doug said, how can you not like a film that has nudity, sex, drugs, rock and roll, real big breasted American woman, and lesbians? I have to agree with him. It has all of that and an NC-17 rating so it is not for children. The film is a biting satire of the music and entertainment industry in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

It is not for everyone so do not rent it if nudity offends you.

Humidity at the Beach
It was very humid here on Sunday as I said yesterday. I found out just how humid it was after I posted the Weekend Update blog.

We have exposed fresh water pipes that are suspended from the ceiling in the car park of the building. These pipes are generally cool since the water lines are all buried in the ground. The moisture in the air was condensing on the pipes and dripping to the ground. There was enough moisture to create little puddles on the car park floor.

This has never happened before in the twenty years that I have lived in the building. I thought that was fascinating.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home