Sunday, July 23, 2006

Weekend Update - Thunder and Lightening

Thunder and Lightening
In a surprise for me because the weather news reader failed to mention any possibility of rain at the beach, I was jolted out of a sound nap this morning by the sound of thunder. I think there was the usual accompanying lightening but I could not see any.

It rained just enough to wet the ground and drive the relative humidity into the sky. It has been muggy and uncomfortable all afternoon. We also have no breeze as yet but I hope there will be one before too long or at least by the time that I go to bed.

My home does not have any air conditioning except for the ocean breezes. Ocean breezes are very important to me.

Babe of the Moment
This is always a good thing.



Comic Con
Programming Note: You should read Doug's version of Comic Con in his blog, SkeetonMischa that is found at http://skeetonmischa.blogspot.com.

We made it to the Comic Con more or less about when I thought we would.

Traffic was spotty on the road to San Diego so I made a minor course correction. Instead of parking at Qualcomm Stadium / Jack Murphy Field for free and then taking the light rail line into the Convention Center, I decided to drop Doug off at the Center so he would have a good chance to getting into to see the Grind House Films panel discussion with Robert Rodriguez. Then, I went back to Qualcomm Stadium and parked the Pathfinder.

It took me an hour and a half to get back to the Convention Center. By this time, Doug was inside waiting for the panel to start. I think he only waited in line for an hour.

I went into the line to do an onsite registration. It took a good fifteen minutes of walking to reach the end of the line; when I got to the end of line, I found out that I was looking at a three hour wait.

It was very hot, probably up into the 90Fs / 30Cs. Since the Convention Center is next to the bay, the sun was reflecting off of the water. Not the best weather combinations on a hot and sunny day.

It was not very good for me since I take a diuretic for my blood pressure.

After standing in the sun and occasional shade for another hour [total time was about 90 minutes], I developed a case of heat exhaustion. The diuretic coupled with my sweating essentially dehydrated me very effectively.

Oh yes, the line seemed to stop moving. This was because the wait had been calculated at an incredible four hours now.

Anyway, cutting the drama short, I found some shade and sat down to cool off somewhat.

I waited until Doug’s panel was over and called him. I told what had happened to me to bring me some water.

Doug showed up about fifteen minutes later with some very cold water which I drank immediately. This reminded me of a scene from the film GUNGA DIN where Gunga Din is the regimental water bearer and he brings water to soldiers; except that Doug has a head of curly hair and Sam Jaffe had a shaved head in the film. This rehydrated me and cooled me off so that I could walk on my own to the light rail line.

Hitting the fast forward button, we made it back to Qualcomm Stadium without me passing out. We had to sit in the shade at the Stadium station while I cooled off in the breeze. The air conditioning in the light rail car was either not functioning or woefully inadequate for the challenge of the day.

Doug drove back to his house and I just sat in the draft. I was well cooled by the time we reached South Orange County. I had some more cold water and then headed on home. I had the Pathfinder’s air conditioning on maximum until I pulled into the car park.

I did stop at Burger King and pick up a double Whopper with cheese and extra onions and tomatoes. This was my first visit to BK in at least thirteen years or more. The double Whopper tasted very good but then I was tired and hot and hungry so I think most anything would have tasted good to me.

Other things Doug and I talked about
I don’t want you to think that we had a silent conversation on the drive at all. We talked about a number of things that nothing to do with Comic Con.

Shorty Shorts



Doug said he had been talking to his friend about shorty shorts. His friend said that only Asian American women seemed to wear shorty shorts. I said there was noting wrong with that. I was able to observe, from my vantage point in the shade, that all types of women were wearing shorty shorts on Saturday at the Con.

There were even some women who should never even think about wearing shorty shorts wearing them on Saturday as well. That was not a happy view.

Asian Female Drivers
I asked Doug if he has ever noticed that sometimes you will see an Asian woman driving the car and what appears to be her husband is riding in the back seat. He said no. Maybe I see this because where I live there are a number of major Japanese company North American headquarters. I said may be the husband wants to feel important and pretend that he has a driver.

Doug said may be he doesn’t know how to drive.

After thinking about that comment for a while, I think Doug is on to something.

Doug asked me if I had seen some Asian women driving with the white cotton gloves on that go all the way up to their elbows. I said that I had only seen them with the regular gloves on. I should point out that these drivers who wear the gloves are usually older since most of the young drivers like to have a tan. Doug then went on to the visors some wear. The visor, for those of you who have not seen one, looks like a welder’s mask. It covers the face from ear to eat and down to the chin. Doug wondered why that was.

I told him that it was probably a class thing about not wanting to appear like someone who worked out in the sun; sort of a Scarlett O’Hara thing. He said that made sense.

Two women from the Con
There were these two women who were waiting along with us for the light rail car. They were with their husbands and sons [one son each]. They had the most nasally, grating, annoying sounding voices we had ever heard.

We felt so sorry for their husbands because they were married to them. I pointed out to Doug that the men had a chance to say no and they did not. The ones we should really feel sorry for were their sons.

I told Doug that I once dated a woman in college that had nasally voice but that since she was a nursing student she did know how to give me a great massage. Doug gave me a very knowing look.

Visitors
This last week was the largest foreign readership week ever in the history of the blog. We had visitors from India, United Kingdom [2], Canada [9], France [2], Texas [2], Ireland, Spain, Australia, Singapore, Japan [2], Belgium, and Nigeria.

Thoughts Missing in Action
There are a couple of ideas or thoughts that I would normally include but it is too warm to continue typing much more. I wanted to write about planning calendars and the Japanese samurai historical drama I have been watching. My college girl friend who was a nursing major. I will get to those later on in the week.


I hope you weekend was better than mine.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home