Friday, October 17, 2008

Happy, Happy, Joy Day

Happy, Happy, Joy Day
Yes, it is a Happy, Happy, Joy Day for the Princess and me and our University of Utah Utes. Our favorite college sports teams are the Utes and whoever is playing BYU.

Texas Christian University beat Brigham Young University 32 to 7 last night in a Mountain West Conference football game in Forth Worth, Texas.

Perfectomundo.

The Princess said, in an early morning e-mail, "Did you hear that BYU lost last night? Hallelujah!"

Today was a doubly sweet day for the Princess since the annual Halloween package of candy from Hershey's Chocolates arrived at her house yesterday.

The BYU loss puts Utah in the best position to get a BCS post season football bowl invitation since it is likely to be the highest ranked, unbeaten, non-BCS team. The invitation has to be earned by continued victories on the playing field. The 7 and 0 Utes have five more games to play between now and the end of the season. They will play Colorado State, New Mexico, and San Diego State. None of these teams have winning records and the Utes should be the favorites in all of these games. The other two games are against TCU in Salt Lake and BYU in Provo. Playing in Provo is almost like playing a home game since Provo is only fifty miles away.

Urology Clinic
I went to the Urology Clinic with Doug on Tuesday. The appointment was about the stent that was placed in my ureter last year. Stents are only supposed to last a year in place and the time was about out.

Doug and I are used to repeating what happened to me to each new resident. I guess they are either curious or they don't want to spend the time to read through the growing file although my file is still small by the Oncology Clinic standards.

On Tuesday, Medical Student Rebecca took down my information. I guess she has an interest in urology or that was her clinic rotation assignment and I was the designated patient.

After Rebecca took down my information, she left and returned with the Urology Clinic Director who is going to be my attending physician during my time in the department. After an examination, he pronounced my prostate as being very normal.

Good news.

Then, I had to go get an x-ray so the Director could decide what to do with me. I can take x-rays almost all day long. They are so much nicer than other tests. The x-ray showed that my stent had only minimum calcification; that is very good because there was no immediate danger to me and it could be removed in an orderly manner.

I have some more blood test to take in preparation for the removal. I'll do the tests next week when I go in for my regular Oncology Clinic blood tests. I just hope that they do not drain me for the tests.

The removal procedure will be down on November 18th, early in the morning. This was very convenient for me and for Doug since he is thinking about taking a short road trip with his friend Robin the week before the procedure. I should be able to have the procedure done and then be able to go to my Tuesday night class.

In the event I am unable to go to class, my department chair said she would fill in for me since all she will have to do is pick up assignments. It seems that I am about the only one on the
faculty who can teach the Income Tax Preparation course.

School
My classes seem to be much better this term when compared to the last term. It seems that the students are more open to my favorite style of teaching; I love to use the Socratic Method and this approach seems upsetting to some students.

I made a bunch of students in my Thursday night class happy. I had met with one of the other faculty members and approached her about letting our common students use the same course project paper for both classes. The other instructor was agreeable to the proposal and the affected students were very happy because they now had to write only one course project paper and turn it in for two classes.

Excellent.

Other Drama in My Life
I still can't write the blog in Microsoft Word and then paste it into the blog. I really liked that feature because Word allowed me to use a much broader dictionary, one that I could add my special words to like "Perfectomundo," for example.

I started my Xeloda free week today. It is going to be very nice to not have to take the extra seven pills a day that I was taking with the Xeloda.

One of my former students emailed me and asked me to write a letter of recommendation for her. She is getting ready to interview for her first real job and wants everything to be just right. I will give her the letter on Monday, before my evening class starts.

That was nice of her and I felt very good about her request.


Be well and stay happy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tom Pilkington said...

I hope this adds to your joy for the day...the BYU game is actually in SLC this year, too.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Chuck Reinhardt said...

Ummmm. I just have to do a better job of cleaning my glasses. Thanks Tom.

8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home