Saturday, October 18, 2008

Stuff I Forgot to Mention

Stuff I Forgot to Mention
This is where I get really caught up for the week. Not that there is all that much drama in my life.

I discovered that I have theater tickets for November 1st. I actually knew that I had tickets; they were listed on my Palm Pilot [Zire to be more correct]. They had just slipped my mind since I couldn't see them when I was looking at the month of October.

The next play is a musical that is based on the television series Happy Days. So much creativity and original thought to come up with the idea for a play.

Now all that I need to do is decide if I want to ask a young lady [any single female who is younger than me] to go to the theater with me.

When I went to the Urology Clinic on Tuesday, I saw Glenda, my favorite Baby Blue. She said she didn't recognize me with my new mustache. I said that I almost didn't recognize her in the dark purple nurse's gown she was wearing.

Glenda giggled.

On Tuesday, I went to El Gringo for my dinner with Merit. It was then that I learned that Merit was no longer working at El Gringo. I decided that I could go somewhere else for my dinner. The server who was working is an older woman than Merit and I think she might even be pleasant to be around except for the fact that she never smiles.

Why hang out at a restaurant where the server doesn't smile?

Doug will be happy that I am no longer going to El Gringo because he says their food is too spicy. Maybe he is correct.

I ended up going to new Corner Bakery store in Redondo Beach and I picked up a sandwich to go instead. On the plus side, the sandwich was very tasty and healthy for me. It was also healthy for my wallet since there was no tipping on a takeout order and my bill was smaller.

Saving money is always a good thing.

The Princess will be very happy. Our Utes came through with a solid victory at over Colorado State University Rice-Ecceles Stadium in Salt Lake City.

Associated Press via ESPN.com

SALT LAKE CITY -- Utah remained in contention to be a two-time BCS buster by looking a little like the Utes team that did it first.

Five players scored touchdowns and the No. 14 Utes had their best offensive performance of the season in a 49-16 win over Colorado State on Saturday, improving to 8-0 for the fourth time in school history.

"It was definitely our most balanced game and we really got the spread run game going," said Brian Johnson, who passed for two touchdowns and tied Alex Smith's school record of 21 wins as Utah's starting quarterback. "That's where it all started, spreading that defense out and making them cover every option we had on the field. We made it tough on them."

Corbin Louks, Johnson's backup, ran for 109 yards and two touchdowns, Matt Asiata scored twice and Jereme Brooks took a reverse for a touchdown as the Utes (8-0, 4-0) gained 549 yards of offense -- 162 more than they averaged through the first seven games.

The Utes subbed the speedy Louks for Johnson a few times to keep the Rams (3-4, 1-2) off guard and Louks capitalized by taking two option keepers for touchdowns, including a 69-yard, zig-zagging run that put Utah up 49-16 with 9:30 left to play.

"We were hitting them from all different angles," Johnson said. "They had to guess who was carrying the ball and what we were trying to do with it."

The Utes have been 8-0 only three other times -- 1930, when they were perfect in an eight-game season, 1994, and the unbeaten team of 2004. The Utes went 12-0 that season, becoming the first team from a non-BCS conference to make one of the top four bowl games.

As long as the Utes stay unbeaten, they will have a chance at getting back to the BCS.

"Every week is getting bigger and bigger for us," said defensive end Paul Kruger, who had seven tackles and tipped the ball on an interception for the Utes in the third quarter. "We've been confident all year. We want this so bad so every game has been a huge thing for us."

Utah is off until playing at New Mexico on Nov. 1 and heads into the bye week with its best offensive game of the season. The Utes' previous high for offense was 461 yards against Utah State on Sept. 13 and they topped that by 88 on Saturday.

"We had total focus and concentration for the entire game," said Johnson, who completed his first eight passes and finished 18-for-26 for 185 yards with one interception. "When we do that we have a chance to be a very good offense and hopefully this will be a springboard for the final four games of the season."

Jason Smith kicked three field goals for Colorado State, including a 52-yarder that made it 28-16 midway through the third quarter. Gartrell Johnson ran for 95 yards on 20 carries for Colorado State and Billy Farris was 19-for-33 for 166 yards with a touchdown.

"We came in here and played a very, very good football team. We hung in there in the first half," Colorado State coach Steve Fairchild said. "In the end we just didn't make enough plays and it got out of hand there a little bit in the second half."

The Rams were driving in the third quarter, but Chaz Walker intercepted a pass that Kruger tipped as Farris threw it and Utah got the ball at its own 49-yard line. A few plays later, Louks ran up the middle for a 21-yard touchdown to put Utah up 35-16 with 2:20 left in the third quarter.

Brooks added another score when he leaped over the goal line at the end of his reverse in the opening minute of the fourth quarter, then Louks capped the scoring with the run of the day.

Utah was at its own 31 and Louks kept it on the option, breaking free and heading for his own sideline. Colorado State just about had him inside the 25 yard line, but Louks cut back across the field and outran the Rams to the end zone.

"That was a long one. I was a little winded after that," said Louks, who missed two games after separating his right shoulder in the season opener at Michigan.


I finished up my first Xeloda cycle on Thursday after being off of the medication for about four months. I think it is causing me to lose some of my appetite and making me more tired than usual. Now, I have some questions for Dr. Karen on Friday.

My old Canon printer died on me on Friday. I think it was the paper feed mechanism that gave up the ghost. I wanted to buy another Canon printer because I still had some unused printer cartridges. The only Canon printers that were available had the same paper feed mechanism and I decided it was better to go with an Epson printer.

I purchased an Epson WorkForce 500 printer. I like it better because it takes less time to cycle up than the old Canon. It is noisier but I can live with that since I do not print that much.

Friday was a day for running around for me. I went to the Urology Clinic to drop off some previous urology procedure reports so the new team would have a better understanding of what has been done. The sign on the door said the clinic opened at 8:00 AM. The clinic opened at 8:30 AM.

I guess some folks have a different idea of timeliness. I am one of those terminally prompt people.

After the trip to the clinic, I swung past my local market and picked up my earthquake supplies. I live in earthquake country so it makes sense to have supplies on hand. My supplies will last about eighteen months and then I will consume them.

Some of my friends go out and buy the freeze dried food because it is light and doesn't take up too much space. I think they have never had to eat any of the food.

A long time ago, when I had short, dark hair, I learned from my Gunnery Sergeant that hot sauce will make anything, even Marine Corps field rations, taste good eventually; so long as you don't run out of the sauce. I once ran out and the field rations were really bad. Of course, this was in the early 1970s and the food was prime 1956 issue.

My earthquake food of choice is ready made soups that can be eaten right out of the can. They are more flavorful and they taste better. Since they are liquid, they can also act to replace my body fluids.

I also have a bunch of bottles of water to go with my soups. When you add in my extra toilet paper and ketchup, I am well set for an emergency.

Tomorrow is grading assignments and quizzes day. I also have to prepare lecture notes that will cover about eighty pages of text. I know I will have more lecture notes than I will need for my class.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home