Sunday, May 30, 2010

Teaching and the End of the Term

Teaching and the End of the Term
I filled in as substitute on Thursday. I had expected a reasonably trouble free evening; about a third of the students had been in one of my classes before.

Boy was I ever wrong.

This was, without any doubt, the worse behaved group of young adults that I have ever had the extreme misfortune to have in a class. They were rude, boorish, ill mannered, vile, and generally unprepared. I hope that I never see any of them in any of my future classes.

After a night like that, I am questioning why I am even trying to prepare these students for their future careers; McDonald's does an excellent job of training people to flip hamburgers.

My Summer Quarter teaching schedule seems fairly firm now. I will have four classes; one each on Monday and Tuesday evenings and two on Saturday. Two of the classes are ones that I have taught several times before including one from this quarter.

I only have to drive to school three times a week instead of the five that I drive this quarter. I ought to be saving a few dollars since my weekly trip will drop from a total of 340 miles to 200 miles.

Pathfinder
The Pathfinder rolled over to 96,000 miles / 154,500 kilometers on the way to school on Friday.

Assuming that I purchase a new car during the first week in June, I am planning to replace the timing belt in the truck because it is close the 100,000 mile suggested replacement interval. The timing belt is also over15 years old so it should be wearing out soon.

Looking Ahead
This coming week is finals week at school. I will be busy grading the course projects and final examinations. This may be the first time that I will end up assigning failures to students in classes other than Microeconomics.

My Monday evening class is one of those classes that is in trouble. The trouble largely is of the students’ own doing; some have not turned in any homework assignments for the course. It is difficult for me to have any sympathy for those who were unable or didn’t care enough to turn in any work when others were able to do so.

Tuesday morning is my CT scan. Wednesday is my day for lab testing. Friday is my day to see Dr. Karen again. This will be my next to last appointment with Dr. Karen since her fellowship will end at the end of June. I will truly miss her.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home