Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Lunch today

Hello gentle readers.

I took the day off because I thought I had to be home for part of the day to screw around waiting for the cable guy to show up to fix things. As you know from reading one of the earlier blogs, the cable box got reset electronically and is now working.

Your humble scribe had already committed to the day off with his boss. That really sucks when you have to burn a perfectly good day off.

I was able to save the day off by [a] running around with errands that I would have burned time on over the weekend [and we all know how important weekend time is to anyone] and [b] driving into downtown Los Angeles to have lunch with a very old friend and former co-worker.

The Co-Worker sprung for lunch today. That was so way cool of her. She excelled when she ordered two, double chocolate cake slices for dessert. One cake slice was for us to split and one cake slice was for me to take home for later. The Co-Worker knows I love chocolate.

I will have the second cake slice on Friday. I don't want to add that much caffeine from the cake to my system. My doctor has me monitoring my blood pressure and I want to avoid having to go on any blood pressure medicine beyond the low dosage diuretic I am on now.

I have an appointment to see my doctor on Friday and I have to fast starting Thursday at 6:00 PM so that means no dinner for me. I am not expecting too much to come out of the appointment beyond an extension of the diuretic and maybe I will get put on a low anti-cholesterol medication. The doctor say my cholesterol is sort of borderline right now.

The Co-Worker is a very valued friend and confidant. We shared a great deal together. She is also The Princess favorite; The Princess still thinks I should have married the Co-Worker long ago. Marriage would have been difficult as we both have extremely strong personalities that would have clashed much sooner rather than later. For example, The Co-Worker has one of those little, dust-ball, yip-yip dogs and I would rather have something like a German Shepard. You can see where things would have gone. I think I would have ended up on the sofa with the Shepard to keep me company and warm. Not the best of all prospects for a long Winter's night.

Yes, we do have long Winter's night in Los Angeles. It gets just as dark here as it does anyplace else. Granted, we don't have snow on the ground or ice on the roads. We have idiots that can't drive in foul weather. They forget that you need to slow down when the visibility is poor and leave more room between you and the car in front of you. They drive excessively fast and then are shocked when they get involved in a collision.

Newsflash dummies: If you plan ahead, you don't have to speed! [gasp, eye-roll, gasp].

I found a fascinating new recipe to try sometime soon. It looks really healthy plus it is tasty sounding as well. It is broiled halibut on oven roasted tomatoes. I think I will serve it with just a salad and some more vegetables, probably Italian vegetables, instead of pasta, rice, or spuds. Toss in some yummy California wine, Sterling Vineyards 2003 Sauvigon Blanc would be excellent, and some fresh French bread and I am done except for the cleanup.

[Anticipatory burp].

I think I will go off and plod ahead with the book The Girl Friend gave me. I am up to page 307 of 782; still a long way to read.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home